The Portland Hiking Meetup Group Message Board Gear Talk › What Tent do you carry?

What Tent do you carry?

A former member
Post #: 8
I'm in the market for a new lightweight 2 person backpacking tent.
What do you use/Recommend?

So far im looking at the:

-Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 Tent
-Tarptent Double Rainbow
-MSR fast Stash looks intriguing
Rune
user 2364738
Portland, OR
Post #: 9
I have an MSR Hubba Hubba HP in excellent shape -- with matching footprint -- that I will be willing to sell soon. It is a fantastic, versatile tent. The only reason I am willing to part with it is that I am having a custom, UL tent made to my specs and I could use some cash to fund that project. Make me an offer if you are interested.

A former member
Post #: 11
Was tempting but its a bit heavier than i'm looking for.
Im going to try and stay under 4 pounds if I can.
Thanks.
Will
user 13590079
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Not sure if this helps but I've been using a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 for about 8 years and it's still doing great - nice and light, easy to set up and tear down (putting on the rain fly on is a bit of a pain but not a deal breaker). Pretty good ventilation and it's held up well with lots of use. Never really had a problem with water getting in but you need to make sure the rain fly never touches the mesh/screen or you'll get condensation dripping in. This can happen if you roll over in your sleep so that your body is pushing the screen against the rain fly. If you keep the rain fly pulled nice and tight, it's not a problem. Also, keep Velcro away from the screen - it will stick to the screen and can rip it. There's some on my sleeping bag that I have to be careful of. Anyway, I'm happy with it. Good luck!
A former member
Post #: 12
Yeah it does.. been really leaning towards the flycreek because its lighter than my solo tent.. For less weight why not have the extra gear room?.. But does cost more.
I have a couple solo tents but I want the option to have space for two.
When the weather is warmer ill probably go to a hammock as my primary though.
A former member
Post #: 7
I have the Seedhouse SL2 and had the FlyCreek UL2. They FlyCreek is really more like a 1.5 person tent. Two would be very cramped. Also the material is very thin. It is OK for mild weather camping, but I would not feel comfortable with it in a serious storm or sustained downpour. The fabric also is very fragile. I met someone that put a hole in his when he jabbed his finger into it by mistake. I'd be willing to carry a little extra weight to have a tent that I know won't get me in a bad situation in a storm.

I have recently upgraded to Hilleberg tents for solo camping and have a Seedhouse SL2 for sale in lightly used condition if you were interested. I'd rather have the SL2 over the Fly Creek simply because the material feels a lot more substantial for only a slight weight penalty.
A former member
Post #: 1
I had the Seedhouse SL2 for about 1 year and took it on half a dozen overnights. In my opinion the weight and durability is fine. The interior room is decent for 1 "average sized" person....two would be VERY tight. However, I am 6'2" and this tent is just not long enough. My head and feet were right on the end of each wall. The main problem I've had with this tent is condensation. I must be a very heavy breather, because each morning (regardless of the outside temps and humidity levels) the inside of the tent was dripping wet.
The last trip I took was up the lower Deschutes on a dry, sunny weekend. After setting up the tent properly, guying it out with all the available lines, I woke up the next morning to have my footbox on my sleeping bag wet and feet cold. I also noticed small water "beads" on the top of my sleeping bag.
I have since returned the sleeping bag to REI and am waiting for the anniversary sale on the 20th to buy a new tent. After much research and deliberation, I have decided that I'm going to buy the Quarter Dome TC2 Plus. I am aware that the weight is much more at 4 lbs 4oz minimum weight. But the features I will be gaining are: 94" long - 54" wide: tons of room, no touching the ends at all. Vertical side walls: I set it up i the store and its SUPER roomy....this combined with the two vents on the top of the tent will hopefully greatly reduce my condensation problems. I'm going to find other areas to reduce weight in order to accommodate this tent.
A former member
Post #: 13
Ive been in all sorts of tents over the years and condensation is always an issue.
It just comes with Oregon is my thoughts on that.
Wet rain fly does not bug me as long as it doesn't rain into the tent itself..
Even in the best ventilated tents I have had some condensation.

Makes me debate a single wall tents
A former member
Post #: 2
How much do you want for the sl2 seedhouse?
Will
user 13590079
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
About the size issue - I'm 6' 165# and found the SL2 to be big enough for two. It's cozy but we did fine. I can see a problem if you're on the taller/bigger side. A long sleeping pad or bag will not fit in the tent. I have heard others complain about condensation too but it hasn't been a problem for me.