addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Portland Hiking Meetup Group Message Board Odds and Ends › NEW Washington State Discovery Pass

NEW Washington State Discovery Pass

Zachary
user 11075363
Portland, OR
Post #: 9
Comrades!
If you're headed out to Washington State Parks, DNR lands, or other state recreation areas, don't forget about thier newly instated (as of 6/1/11) vehicle permits. While $10/day seems a bit steep, their new $30/year "Discovery Pass" is at least reasonable (especially when compared to the $99 ticket for non-compliance). Check it out at http://www.discoverpa...­.
Zachary
user 11075363
Portland, OR
Post #: 10
I also found this Q&A at http://www.dnr.wa.gov...­
Zachary
user 11075363
Portland, OR
Post #: 11
Make that effective 7/1/11 (thanks Mark!).
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks for the info! I am definately going to get one! :)
Brian
hiker43
Group Organizer
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 36
Hey Zachary,
It looks like we still have to buy a Forest Pass ( another $30) to access national forests. Am I wrong here? The Discovery Pass doesn't list USDA managed land.
Neil
Sprinter
Portland, OR
Post #: 33
I read nothing at either link in regard to the NWFP. Doesn’t the DPass make it useless to buy a NWFP if one intends to use it in WA?

Thanks for the update.
Neil
Sprinter
Portland, OR
Post #: 43
More, detailed, news on the Discover Pass, courtesy of Mazamas:

http://www.discoverpa...­

Beginning July 1, 2011, a Discover Pass will be required in your vehicle when visiting state recreation lands managed by Washington State Parks, Department of Natural Resources and Department of Fish and Wildlife. The fine for not displaying the pass is $99.

The Discover Pass may be purchased online, in person at any business where state hunting and fishing licenses are sold (such as Fred Meyer), or by phone at (866-320-9933. An annual pass is $30; a one-day pass is $10. Twenty-four hours of volunteer time may also be used to “purchase” a pass.

Trails that will be affected are: Hamilton Mountain, Beacon Rock, Columbia Hills State Park (which includes the Horsethief Lake and Butte area and Dalles Mountain Ranch area), and some access points to Aldrich Mountain and Table Mountain that are not managed by the forest. The NW Forest Pass will continue to be used for federal lands.