The Portland Hiking Meetup Group Message Board Odds and Ends › Hike for fitness?

Hike for fitness?

Richard
user 8192558
Portland, OR
Post #: 21
I started hiking because I thought it was a good way to get fit. My attitude has changed. I no longer hike to get fit, but work on my fitness to do the exciting hikes I've learned about.
A former member
Post #: 98
I hike to keep mentally fit, as well as physically fit. One of my co-workers recently asked me how I found the energy to hike after working two 12hr shifts (I'm a hospital nurse), and my reply was . . . Hiking gives me the energy to do those 12hr shifts.
Claudio
user 4250936
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 86
I hike because I like the outdoors and exploring all it has to offer. Getting fit is just a bonus for me although it gives me the opportunity to go farther :)
Laura N.
user 9893843
Liberty Lake, WA
Post #: 9
I started hiking because I want to see what's out there and not from out of a car window. The more I see the more I want to see and now I'm finding the places I want to go require the longer, tougher hikes. So I hike/ramble more frequently to condition for the long weekend hikes. I've found the added bonus that this level of conditioning keeps me 'balanced' mentally, helping me cope with the stresses of my job and I have a hard time functioning without the endorphins in my system.

So there's always some factor pulling me out there - whether I'm hiking for the destination, hiking so I can hike later, or hiking to keep me sane, I have the motivation to keep going out, even in the grueling winter and spring weather.