align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Portland Hiking Meetup Group Message Board Tips & Tricks › Blister prevention

Blister prevention

Claudio
user 4250936
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 31
If your feet are crooked like mine... oops, did I say that? shock Anyway, there's a product out there (thanks Gordon!) that is not for blisters but I do swear by it. It's called Leuko Tape. You can get it from Amazon by the roll. This is the tape used by athletes to tie muscles. It's very sticky but doesn't leave any residue, it's waterproof and breathable. I used it for the first time on a 5 day backpacking trip which included getting my feet wet. The piece I put the first day, lasted the whole trip and I didn't get not even a sign of a blister!
A former member
Post #: 1
I'll have to try that! Thanks! MoleSkin if an after the fact remedy that works pretty well too.
Pogo M.
user 12132884
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
Claudio: I don't want to get too personal, but did you use Leuko Tape for heel blisters? I plagued by them and I'm looking for a solution that doesn't include plastering them with duct tape.
Claudio
user 4250936
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 92
That's what I use it for the most. Anytime I go hiking or backpacking, I tape both my heels with Leukotape and that's it, no blisters at all...And it peels a lot better than duct tape :)
Kim
user 8234113
Portland, OR
Post #: 101
I get blisters, or at least hot spots, EVERY FREAKING time I hike/backpack! I will definitely try this-thank you!

Kim
Tyler
user 6494937
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
Great tip Claudio! I usually end up packing a pair of comfy flip flops on a backpacking trip as a backup to painful blister causing shoes. Half the time I end up hiking back in my flip flops because it's too painful to put the hiking shoes back on. Not a good situation for my ankles, for sure!

Quick, slightly unrelated, question. I wear five fingers hiking, but mostly for running. How thick is this tape? I'd be tempted to put this around my big toes, which is a magnet for blisters in five fingers. But the tape can't be too thick because of the fit of the individual toes on the shoes themselves. This sounds like it could be a blessing in disguise for me! Crossing fingers....