align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Portland International Adventure Travel Club Message Board › Travel to Central AMerica and/or Ecuador

Travel to Central AMerica and/or Ecuador

This message board is read-only.

A former member
Post #: 14
Help. I have the month of April off and my husband and I need to plan where we are going. Does anyone have suggestions? Should we stay in one area or try to see 3 or 4 different countries? Are there lots of issues in going from one country to the next? Certain paperwork, certain shots, etc.?

I'm thinking we could fly into a central area and then take small trips from a base.

Any suggesionts or guidance welcomed!
Thanks
Sally
Ken M.
user 75754832
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Try South America! The weather is great and you can use Rio and Buenos Aries as bases for many excursions.
Ken Murray
Michael J F.
user 13794575
Portland, OR
Post #: 214
Ooh, so open ended. I've never been to Ecuador, but a couple years ago I went through all of Central America. My favorite country was Guatemala. You could easily see most of that country in that time, and even do a side trip to Belize and the Caribe. Spending some time just relaxing in one of the lakeside villages on Lake Atitlan would be awesome. That lake is so beautiful. I'd use two or three bases in Guatemala: Xela for the highlands and for Tikal (the amazing Mayan ruins), basing out of El Remate (closest to Tikal) or Flores. For Atitlan, Panajachel is the biggest and most touristy village (it's fun though). There are plenty of other more chill options though, so do research. Nicaragua would be pretty sweet too. You could base out of Granada and do Isla Omotepe (totally gorgeous) in Lake Nicaragua, and also see the volcanoes (like Matagalpa). You could fly over to the Corn Islands off the Nicaraguan Caribe Coast for sun and snorkeling. Ecuador would be great if you wanted to do the Andes and the Amazon both, and if money allows do the Galapagos. For this, consider either a cruise or staying at one of the islands, or both. This is a good little problem you have. Have fun!
Michael J F.
user 13794575
Portland, OR
Post #: 215
I'll add that going from one country to the next in Central America is easy, no hassles for me at all. Shots are your basic stuff, plus you might consider malaria pills if it will be the rainy season.