Todd A.
user 68834312
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
Mi vstrechalis v restoran'e "Dobra" i ya domal, chto bilo uspeshnoe. I'll switch to English because I'm in a hurry. Six people came (I was expecting four, so six was wonderful). We drank tea and introduced ourselves, talked about popular culture and other things. We also discussed the vision for the group. My main purpose in starting the group was to gain some experience using Russian, in order to improve my ability, and help others with similar desires (including native Russian speakers who wish to improve their English). I am not very attached to any idea of specific activities, but I would like to meet regularly (maybe once every two weeks) just to keep up to date and encourage additional activities. I would like members to post events, and indicate some idea of how the event will help them with their understanding and, as important, ENJOYMENT of Russian language and culture (this is not just a language group!).

So, if you have movies and a venue to show them, poetry to read, a set of songs and balalaika and want to do a singalong, post and event! If Russain opera or ballet comes to Boston, let's get on a train (hopefully, not an armored train with Strelnikov!).

We aren't limited to Pushkin. I like Lermontov, Turgenev, Visotsky, Okudzhava, Lomonosov, Mendeleev, Francois Villon (okay, so he was French, but Okudzhava wrote a song about him and Regina Spektor covers it to this day...and she gives Bulat Okudhava credit, which I love).

I'm writing a tribute to the poem known as "U Lukomorya" with a twist (instead of, "Tam tsar Koshey pod zlatom chaxhnet" I have "Tam Kommisar Trotsky v Mexico chaxhnet" and insteat of a "stupa s Babayu Yagoi" I have "a "poezd so Strel'nikovom." I think "zverey" will become "kulaki."). So give me your suggestions for replacement lines or concepts.