PDX Permaculture Message Board › Permaculture/Garden Visits

Permaculture/Garden Visits

A former member
Post #: 13
Alright, hopefully out of 1,103 Members (at last count) some others are trying techniques in their gardens as I am? I'm interested in visiting some of each others' sites some weekend/weeknight & seeing what we're all learning. Anyone else interested?
Best, Chris
Jane B.
user 37525652
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
Hi, Chris,

That sounds like fun but I live in Hillsboro. People's expectations might be too high if they have to drive that far. LOL.

I've actually been fantasizing about proposing a class to Leonard, something like, Unskilled Weekend Gardener Permaculture - my 12 Favorite Plants. But I don't think anyone would come.

Jane
A former member
Post #: 14
That is quite a Fantasy lol!
Terry John G.
user 33821022
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
Greetings,

My garden, a blend of ornamental and food production, is open by appointment to anyone interested. While far from the full-scale food farm it could be, I am willing to share ideas and listen to suggestions. My homestead is in the Jennings Lodge area, just north of Gladstone. I still have Caroline raspberries and a few red celery left that need new homes...

Terry
503-545-1419
Jane B.
user 37525652
Portland, OR
Post #: 4
Chris,

"That's quite a fantasy" You mean the class, or the idea that anyone would come to it? LOL. I know there are lots of folks out there like me - with modest gardening skills and little time that are plugging away at permaculturing their space.

The nice thing about permaculture is that we are mostly dealing with perennials, so we can move toward our permaculture ideal one plant at a time, or one weekend at a time, because all those plants will still be there next year (if we planted them in the right place).

Maybe my fantasy is more like a panel discussion with several people who are on the path but not at the destination yet talking about what has worked for them so far and the audience throwing in their own comments. I'm especially interested in folks like me who wouldn't dare open their gardens for viewing like Terry does. (Terry is so far down the path that I can't see him from here. LOL)

Love the permaculture meet up events but there isn't much "meet" in the meet up. Hard to get to know anybody.

Jane
Terry John G.
user 33821022
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
Hi Jane,
I do have an established (more or less) garden but as far as food production goes, I am still very much in the learning phase like the rest of you. I would be willing to hold a smaller group meeting so that the half dozen or so could get to know each other better and bounce some ideas around.

Perhaps a rotating potluck or tea with maximum number of ten people would allow everyone to help each other out. I have a friend/client that has a half dozen friends that she call the Garden Girls, and they take turns every six weeks or so going to one another's house for a half-day work party and potluck lunch. They get help with tasks they could not or would not do themselves and have a great time.

Food for thought...

Terry
Jane B.
user 37525652
Portland, OR
Post #: 5
Terry,

That sounds great, but I am not sure I could hold up my end because I live so far away in HIllsboro. Not that I wouldn't be willing to host a tea, but who would come all the way to Hillsboro? Yes, I go to Portland for this stuff but the laws of physics are altered in the Portland vicinity so that it is farther from Portland to Hillsboro than it is from Hillsboro to Portland. LOL

Jane
A former member
Post #: 15
Hey y'all, no matter what, here's the latest update... :)

A former member
Post #: 16
OK: itinerary. I'll post a message here mid/late week, after everyone has had time to submit their own place. I'm thinking start far out (my place) and work our way West, taking about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes at each local... If you have requests for an earlier/later time, post it here! Updated map available at http://g.co/maps/t9jj...­
Jane B.
user 37525652
Portland, OR
Post #: 6
Hi, Chris,

Looks like a missed something (or several somethings). Interesting map. What is it? Is there a date? And what is happening on that date?