Jon Young, renowned author, tracker and mentor, has been embraced by the permaculture community for his deep knowledge and awareness of societal patterns and the deep nature connections that are necessary to shift these patterns for individuals as well as at the cultural level.
Coyote Mentoring is a distinctive and highly effective educational approach developed by Jon Young that uses children’s innate enthusiasm for the natural world as a context to actively engage them in the learning process. This approach develops the capacities of students for learning, problem solving, and full expression, and re-awakens their natural sense of wonder.
Through a combination of lecture, storytelling, discussions, group activities, and peer teaching sessions, participants will learn:
• The importance of heightened awareness in students, and how it relates to critical thinking and problem solving
• How to use symbol and metaphor to create a powerful educational environment
• The role of brain patterning, and the natural flow of the human learning process
• How stories, song and other artistic expressions open a doorway to authentic student growth
• Essential routines found throughout the world that ground students in their senses and expand awareness
Learning Outcomes As a result of taking this course, participants will:
• Experience for themselves how powerful the "cultural context" is in education
• Take home powerful images and metaphors to cultivate a supportive learning environment in their classrooms
• Acquire concepts to facilitate development of their student's full potentials
• Learn how to use stories and storytelling as an educational tool
• Understand the primary teaching styles of the Coyote Mentoring approach and how to appropriately utilize them when working with students.