PDX Permaculture Message Board › Do you know how to grow squash?

Do you know how to grow squash?

A former member
Post #: 6
I appear to have some land to play with. Does anybody know how to grow squash in mass quantities? I'm talking acres here.

If u like squash, well, here's your chance to hang out with them and score some for free! :D
Leonard B.
Leonard_Barrett
Portland, OR
Post #: 31
Any reason not to grow it in a three sisters guild?

http://www.reneesgard...­
http://garden.menoyot...­
A former member
Post #: 2
I would suggest a lot of trellises or cages because you can grow more in the space and also be able to walk around on your land. Summer squash will keep producing as long as you keep picking so that might be a good plan if you want to have an ongoing crop. Winter squash is just a plant and water thing. Pretty basic and I don't know of anything that you would need to know except if you want really huge squash only let one fruit grow on each plant.
Good Luck and have a blast.

Check out "Squash Your Sidewalk" Might be a fun person to connect with for you.

Pam Allen
Citybounty.org
Brice
user 45664502
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
careful with the three sisters here you need to pick a very fast corn to get anything from it because corn likes hot summer weather, we just don't get enough of that to realy get the corn going on the wet side of the state.
Jane B.
user 37525652
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
I've never grown squash, but I know you can grow it in hills even without the traditional beans and corn. Seems like that would be a good way to plant a lot of squash on uncultivated ground. Hills can be pretty far apart, 5 feet in every direction, etc., depending on variety. Makes a great ground cover to shade out some weeds, at least until the first frost. REally need wilt resistance here in the NW.
FionaRhea
FionaRhea
Portland, OR
Post #: 36
I love squash and want to grow it vertically.