align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

PDX Permaculture Message Board › Just a person trying to spread LOVE!!

Just a person trying to spread LOVE!!

Tarin E.
user 8596536
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 66

Hi Leonard::

It's sad to see on your meetup that you didn't give me your ear like your email suggests.

I have spent the past week to try to let people in your group know about my harvest gathering in Vancouver, Washington.

I have suggested this TWO TIMES PLUS I have left you personal e-mails.

WHY do you keep deleting them???

Apparently you don't see this as a GOOD IDEA since I am NOT CHARGING anyone for anything.

You are truly a disappointment to me Leonard.

Please don't bother posting MY SUGGESTION.

It obviously will be just a waste of your time now.

I am not in this world to make money off people while they come together to share experiences and knowledge.

You seem to see this wonderful world of meetups as a business adventure.

I personally don't feel this is WHY the meetup founding community got started.

It's businesses like you that give thru meetup groups a bad name.

You have left a bad taste in my mouth and I want nothing more to do with your business.

Consider this the last message I send you.
A former member
Post #: 40
Hi Tarin,

Sorry for the confusion. I want to clarify a few things:

1) In my email response to you on Monday, I suggested that the best place to share your event would be via the message board thread entitled "Other Great Events". You did not do that.

2) I have not deleted anything you have posted (I haven't seen anything posted). Where are you trying to post it? Please clarify.

3) This meetup is not a net-profitable venture. Some events do generate a surplus, but most profits subsidize others that consistently lose money (monthly movie showings and other "suggested donation" events). In generally only make money when I teach a workshop, which only happens a few times a year. In contrast, I'm spending 10-15 hours a week on the Meetup year-round.

All the best to you,

LB

Jane B.
user 37525652
Portland, OR
Post #: 9
Hi, Leonard,
Things like this must be frustrating for you. I have spent many years volunteering in various non-profit organizations and I found the most frustrating thing was that the work was invisible, not just to the public, but also to the members of the organization.

I recall one instance in which I actually left the group because I was treated disrespectfully after volunteering many hours a week for the group's benefit. I was an officer of the group and one member actually used the phrase, "You guys have all the power." I still don't know what power he was referring to, maybe the power to work my butt off! LOL.

I am not able to come to many events, partly because I live in Hillsboro, but I am glad the group is there. Thanks for the work you do.

Jane B-P
Tarin E.
user 8596536
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 91
Hi Leonard:
Although I can't imagine how much time would go into managing such a big group like yours; I don't understand how you could possible say you consistently lose money due to monthly movie showings. You have so many programs with fees ranging from $30.00 all the way up to $1,195. I am aware some are a week long and some are a day long and some are from other teachers. How unfair of me to think your time isn't worth getting paid.
I am really frustrated because I thought I finally found a group that can teach me how to use the acre of land I live on. I just don't have this kind of money to pay every time I come to one of your meetups even though you say their are some that are suggested. (these along with the movies don't seem to be as often as the the charges meet ups).
I apologize for being so negative.
You don't deserve my attitude especially when no one else seems to mind spending this kind of money.
Please forgive me for taking time out of your already busy schedule to baby sit my feelings.