align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

PDX Permaculture Message Board › Where to live near Portland

Where to live near Portland

Kat van der H.
kareiner329
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1
Hi all,

I'm wondering if you might be able to help me. My almost-husband and I are moving to Portland so I can go to graduate school. We currently live in Brisbane, Australia. We are both very excited by gardening and permaculture, and want to take our currently-container based garden (lots of containers!) and start a real, food-providing system. We don't know much about the Portland area, but are looking for growable land (where we can also raise some but not a lot of livestock) in an interesting and nice area (I've heard Hillsboro is great) with interesting, like-minded people (I forsee baby-sitting for our neighbors chickens, and likewise) not too far from Portland (within 45 minutes is fine) that is not insanely expensive. Since we can't visit until we get there, I was wondering if any of you had ideas on neighborhoods/towns that possibly fill those areas.

Any advice you have would be a huge, huge help.

Looking forward to joining in on a meetup when we come in August!

Kat and Anthony
A former member
Post #: 42
I suppose one clarification is: how do you feel about semi-rural vs. suburbs vs. being closer to town. For reference, you can be within a mile of downtown and still have a tenth of an acre to work with, but probably not more than that.

You would probably prefer a location that limited driving or long public transit rides? Are you at all interested in nightlife or cultural attractions?

Finally, where are you studying?

Give some thoughts on the above and I can give some specific feedback.

Kat van der H.
kareiner329
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 2
Hi Leonard,

Thanks so much! I'll be studying at Lewis and Clark. It's grad school, so it's only 3 days per week, so I'm not too fussed if the commute to school is 30-45 minutes (public trans would be ideal!) I feel quite happy being semi-rural, as long as it's near-ish a town, and preferably a cool, interesting town. We are not at all interested in nightlife, but cultural attractions are always fun. We love to be outdoors, bike, hike, etc.

Thanks so much,

Kat
A former member
Post #: 43
I personally like either very urban or very rural, and could do without most of the gradient inbetween, BUT, I would look toward the Sherwood/Tualatin/Stafford neck of the woods, right on the suburban fringe. That would get you into some fairly rural territory, but you would still have a relatively short commute. Check trimet.org for transit connections. Hillsboro would likely be an hour commute in rush hour...and somehow college's seem to be good at scheduling classes to start or end during rush hour....
Kat van der H.
kareiner329
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 3
Thank you so much for this. I will definitely look in that area. Ideally, I agree about the very urban or very rural, but I've done very urban for 20+ years, but I'm not quite ready for totally rural. Thanks so much again!

Kat