This is an exploratory trip for your leader as I did it too long ago to remember. It's just 3.4 miles RT w/ 1100' elevation gain. We'll also check out some of the lower McCall Preserve plateau, so add another .6 mi. Expect grass widows and perhaps some other spring wildflowers.
These are interpretive trips, so bring some natural or cultural history to share with the group. If full, please sign up on the waiting list and show up if this kind of trip really interests you. Unfortunately, there are always no-shows!
See Bill Sullivan's description here: http://web.oregon.com/hiking/mccall_preserve.cfm
Once you read this, there's no reason not to come with my always requested facts to share as Bill has already done some of your research for you.
Since this is such a short trip, I'd like to combine it with another short trip for those wanting more. Wahclella Falls is easiest to reach from the east, so, let's do this 1.8 mi RT on the way back for a total hiking mileage of about 5.8 mi. See http://gorgefriends.org/display.php?modin=51&uid=4924 for a description of Wahclella.
PERMITS: None needed
Suggested donation for outing: $2.00 members, $3.00 non-members.
CARPOOLING: RT mileage is approximately 136 miles; we suggest a mileage donation of 10 cents/mile/rider. Exact change is welcome.
Note-this is a carbon-neutral outing, $.25/person from outings donation is used to offset carbon produced during the trip.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
· Water (min 2 liters/person)
· Insulated sit pad
· Lunch and snacks.
· Water resistant hiking boots/shoes
· A water-resistant hat and gloves. Rain jacket and pants (even if sunny)
· Two or three layers of clothing that can be adjusted or removed as necessary
· Headlamp or flashlight
· First aid supplies (include an extra day of any medication you take)
· Pocket knife
· Fire starter (can be candles, chemical fire starter, backpack size fire logs)
· $$ for mileage
· Gloves or mittens, sun hat
· Trekking poles recommended
· Extra food