DATE: March 12th, 2013,
TIME: Be at the carpool location by 8:15 for an 8:30 departure
DIFFICULTY RATING: Diffiuclt
TOTAL MILES: 16 miles
ESTIMATED HIKING TIME: 8-10 hours, depending on party size and trail conditions
ELEVATION GAIN: Approximately 4,440 vertical feet
Route Description: From the Dog Mtn. trail head go 2.7 miles on the Augspurger Mtn. Trail. Take the trail to the left and hike approximately 4.5 miles to the summit. It’s another 1 mile to a terrific viewpoint. Return via the same route.
APPROXIMATE RETURN TIME: 5:30 PM
WEATHER FORECAST: A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 44. West southwest wind 7 to 10 mph. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
DOGS: Call or email me and we will discuss.
PERMITS: US Forest Service Pass
$$$: Suggested donation for outing: $2.00.
CARPOOLING: RT mileage is approximately 110 miles; we suggest a mileage donation of 10 cents/mile/rider. Exact change is welcome.
Note-this is a carbon neutral outing, $.25/person from outings donation is used to offset carbon released for the trip.
Directions to Carpool: Note: We will meet at the Travel Center at exit 17 off I-84 in the lot by the Subway Shop sign.
If you have questions about the hike or what to bring, call Mike Newsham at[masked], [masked] . This cell number will work for communication purposes on the day of the hike.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
• Water (min 2 liters/person)
• Lunch and snacks.
• Water resistant hiking boots/shoes
• A water-resistant hat and gloves. Rain jacket and pants (even if sunny, ha, ha)
• Two or three light layers of clothing that can be adjusted or removed as necessary
• Headlamp or flashlight
• Matches (stored in a water tight container in addition to matches or a butane lighter)
• First aid supplies (be sure to include an extra day of any medication you are taking or might need
• Pocket knife
• Fire starter (can be candles, chemical fire starter, backpack size fire logs)
• $$ for gas
• Gloves or mittens, sun hat
• Trekking poles recommended
• Extra food