Hike: Ape Cave (Indoor Hike) , Mt. St. Helen's area
Date: October 28, 2012
DIFFICULTY RATING: Moderate(“Rough” trail)
TOTAL MILES: 3 mile loop
ESTIMATED HIKING TIME: 3-4 hours
ELEVATION GAIN: 400 feet
APPROXIMATE RETURN TIME: 5 PM
WEATHER FORECAST: Almost immaterial, we will be in the cave most of the hike
PERMITS: Northwest Forest Pass
$$$: Bring money for gas and an optional Sierra Club donation.
Suggested voluntary donation for outing: $2.00.
CARPOOLING: RT mileage is approximately 100 miles; we suggest a mileage donation of 10 cents/mile/person or whatever the driver agrees to.
Note-this is a carbon neutral outing, $.25/person from outings donation is used to offset carbon released for the trip
Tired of soggy hikes in the rain? For a change of pace, join us on this “indoor hike” of the Ape Cave in the Mt. St. Helen's National Monument. This is the longest lava tube in the western hemisphere. We will be doing the more rugged upper section of the cave, where we will traverse 10 major rock falls, scramble up an 8’ foot headwall, and pass through a “squeeze” slot. Then we will pass the skylight and soon come to the metal ladder that leads out of the cave. Come prepared for a chilly day, it’s a steady 42 degrees in the cave. The trail back to the parking lot is 1.2 miles, so we won’t get too wet, even if it is raining.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
• Water (min 2 quarts/person)
• Lunch and snacks
• Water resistant hiking boots/shoes
• A water-resistant hat, Rain jacket and pants (it may be dripping in the cave)
• Two or three light layers of clothing that can be adjusted or removed as necessary
• 2 sources of light, headlamp and/or flashlight
• Matches (stored in a water tight container in addition to matches or a butane lighter)
• First aid supplies (be sure to include an extra day of any medication you are taking or might
• Pocket knife
• Fire starter (can be candles, chemical fire starter, backpack size fire logs)
Other items (as appropriate)
• Bring rain gear and warm layers
• Gloves or mittens and stocking cap
• Trekking poles
• Extra food