Hardy Ridge Loop
Date: December 9, 2012
DIFFICULTY RATING: Moderate
TOTAL MILES: Round trip is 6.7 miles.
ESTIMATED HIKING TIME: 4-5 hours, depending on size of the group
ELEVATION GAIN: 2,100 vertical feet gain
APPROXIMATE RETURN TIME: 4 PM
WEATHER FORECAST: A chance of rain and snow showers. Snow level will be 2000 feet. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36 (Forecast for 2,000’ in the Gorge). The weather forecast indicates that this will be what passes for a winter day in the Columbia River Gorge. Dress accordingly.
PERMITS: WA Discovery Pass
$$$: Suggested donation for outing: $2.00 for members,
CARPOOLING: RT mileage is approximately 45 miles; we suggest a mileage donation of 25 cents/mile/vehicle (split by the number of people in the vehicle.) Exact change makes it easier to divide among our drivers.
Note-this is a carbon neutral outing, $.25/person from outings donation is used to offset carbon released for the trip.
If you have questions about the hike or what to bring, call Mike Newsham at[masked], [masked] . This cell number will work for communication purposes on the day of the hike.
Route Description: This hike is for the truly motivated, given the weather forecast. This loop climbs the west side of Hardy Ridge and then out to Phlox Point, where we will eat lunch. We will then retreat back down the ridge and descend the east side of the ridge and catch the road back to the trail head.
Note: This hike is similar to Hamilton Mountain.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
• Water (min 2 liters/person)
• Water resistant hiking boots/shoes
• A water-resistant hat, rain jacket and pants (even if sunny out)
• Two or three light layers of clothing that can be adjusted or removed as necessary
• Headlamp or flashlight
• Matches (stored in a water tight container in addition to matches or a butane lighter)
• First aid supplies (be sure to include an extra day of any medication you are taking or might need
• Pocket knife
• Fire starter (can be candles, chemical fire starter, backpack size fire logs)
• Sunscreen, lots of sun screen (tee-hee)
• Gloves or mittens, sun hat
• Trekking poles recommended
• Extra food (enough for 2 days)