Ok, Fellow PDX Wine Tasting Group Winos I am pleased to announce our first (of thousands!) meetup.
The theme is "A TASTING TOUR OF ITALY" ("A degustazione giro d'Italia")
Here are the details:
Date: Sunday, December 2, 2012 - Buone Vacanze!
Start Time: 6:30pm
Location: Taste on 23rd (at the corner of NW 23rd and Johnson) - tasteon23rd.com
Cost: $40 per person, inclusive of tip and food. That's 5 bottles of wine (YES!) and four platters of Tapas, olives, bread, cheese, salami, etc!
Attendance: Event is limited to 10 people. So RSVP asap.
The wines we are having are listed below:
1. 2011 Rapido Pinot Grigio delle Venezie IGT
Winemaker’s Tasting Notes: “Pale straw yellow. Toasted nut, sage and exotic fruit: a wine of unexpected depth and character. The absence of sulphuric acid and the controlled temperature during fermentation result in a fruity, complete and fascinating wine of elegant freshness. Great accompaniment to fish, poultry and vegetable dishes, appetizers, ham an fresh cheeses.”
2. 2009 Araldica Barbera d’Asti Albera, Piedmont Italy - 100% Barbera d’Asti from selected vineyards in the Asti province. aged for 1 year - 60% in large barrels, the other 40% in barriques, then blended before bottling
The Araldica Vini philosophy is to pursue the highest possible quality in the vineyard. Most of the work is done manually, included harvesting during which a rigorous selection of grapes is made. Albera is the ancient name for Barbera. “Ruby red with purple highlights. Elegant fruit aromas of cherries and plums with an enticing warm, spiced, smoky aroma given by the small oak barrels. The mouth has a good correspondence to the nose with berry flavors paired with spiced and sapid notes. It is the perfect accompaniment to roasted meat, game and cheeses.”
3. 2010 Capestrano Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, Abruzzo Italy -100% Montepulciano aged in stainless steel
Winemaker’s Notes: “The wine shows a deep ruby red color and nuances of ruby red, little transparency. The nose reveals intense, clean and pleasing aromas of black cherry, blueberry, plum, carob and violet followed by pleasing aromas of walnut-husk. In the mouth has good correspondence to the nose, good balance, agreeable tannins, good body and intense flavors. The finish is persistent with flavors of black cherry and plum. It pairs well with a variety of dishes such as flavorful pastas, pizza, cheeses, grills and roasts. The ideal everyday wine!!!”
4. 2010 Fattoria del Cerro Chianti Colli Senesi, Tuscany Italy - 90% Sangiovese, 10% Canaiolo Nero. Sourced from selected vineyards south of Siena
The Chianti DOCG designation applies to all Chianti wines other than those made from grapes grown in the Chianti Classico area. This appellation covers six specific sub-zones, such as for example Chianti Rufina and Chianti Colli Senesi, by far the largest of the sub- zones. It extends west and south of the classico zone and encompasses vineyards around San Gimignano, Montalcino and Montepulciano among others. The warmer microclimate of the southern part of Colli Senesi, enables producers to make relatively full-bodied Chianti wines. Winemaker’s Notes: “Aroma is fruity with hints of wild blackberry, cherry and a delicate balsamic and herbal finish. The flavor is soft and however full-bodied and with a good persistence. It is optimum with appetizing dishes featuring meat and mushroom sauces and roast chicken.”
5. 2009 Firriato Feudi Bordonaro Nero D’Avola “Branciforti” Sicilia IGT - 100% Nero d’Avola partially aged for 6 months in French barriques
Firriato was established in the early 1980s thanks to the intuition of Salvatore and Vinzia Di Gaetano who saw in the age-old winemaking tradition in the provence of Trapani a potential entrepreneurial project based on the production of quality wine. 320 ha of land was planted with vineyards seperated into different estates. Firriato is one of southern Italy’s wineries who have stayed the course in its region investing in indigenous varietals.
Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate (June 2010): “I have to say I was deeply impressed with the wines I tasted at Firriato this year. Across the board this is a very solid line-up, which is particularly impressive considering the estate’s production is spread across numerous properties in Sicily.” Winemaker’s Notes: “A rush of black fruits and spices. The palate is round with balanced tannins and acidity, structure and length.”
Please RSVP asap as these spots will go fast!!! See you soon!