Would you like to submit your writing to be reviewed by some of your peers? Here’s how:
- format your work with a minimum 1.5 line spacing and a minimum 11 point font to be easily readable to your reviewers and to allow them room for comments between the lines.
- make sure your work, when formatted as above, is about 20-ish pages or less in length.
- add the date of the workshop you’re submitting for in the title of your file prior to uploading it (for example ‘My Great American Novel - Chapter 1 (3/7/13).doc’).
- on the Portland Aspiring Writers Group meetup home page, click the More button and then select Files from the dropdown menu. At the top of this page below the word Files is a link that says Add a File. Click this and follow the prompts to upload your work. Add a description if you’d like, especially if the content may be challenging.
- if you have any questions/concerns or you’d like permission to bend the rules a bit, contact the workshop’s host prior to the meetup.
We’ll workshop a maximum of four (4) pieces of writing, one from each of the first four attendees to post their work as outlined above. I’d like to suggest anyone submitting work commit straightaway to being at the workshop, barring emergencies or unforeseen circumstances of course.
If you're coming as a reviewer it would be ideal for you to read, write down and comment on the work being submitted in advance, however if you can't do this beforehand please feel free to come anyway and join the conversation about each writer's work while it's in progress. As long as a few people can do the pre-workshop reviewing this should provide enough stimulation to get things started. You also do not have to stay for the stated duration of the workshop. This is a ballpark estimate and may vary based on the submissions.
As a final note, the workshop’s host will delete submitted files about one week after the workshop they’ve been submitted for has been concluded if the person submitting the work has not already done so. This is to keep the Files area clean. The workshop’s host and Portland Aspiring Writers Group assume no responsibility for the loss of your work, so please don’t post original files that you haven’t backed up somehow.
Good luck everyone. I look forward to seeing the submissions!