Portland Writers Group Message Board › Portland Writer’s Group Collaborative Novel Project

Portland Writer’s Group Collaborative Novel Project

Lesley
user 56536852
Portland, ME

Portland Writer’s Group Collaborative Novel Project

Donna Hawkes, one of our members, has an awesome idea of how we as a group can get writing, have some fun and maybe even publish the results:

Imagine twelve writers each writing one chapter of a book. None of them will know what the others are going to add to the mix and no one will know who wrote which chapter. Everyone in the group can read the document as each installment is added. After the book is finished, the participants can decide how and where to publish their work.

Sound like fun? This is how it will happen: send me your name if you are interested, and I will assign everyone a number, corresponding to the chapter you will write. I will post a schedule of when each section needs to be written, about 4 days for each chapter. (This is NOT super polished writing--we’re having fun here.)  Each person will send me their chapter when finished and I will upload it to the Meet-Up site, so no one will see who wrote what.

We will get started June 1st.

If you want to give it a go, send me your name.

Lesley
A former member
Post #: 5
first and foremost, a big thank you to Lesley for facilitating this collaborative project. no small feat.

this project is fashioned around 4 other successful collaborations, with 3 of the 4 collaborative titles following the same trend, "Naked Came The..........". in each project, chapter 1 was submitted, picked up by the 2'nd writer, where they took it and ran with it, then sent it on to the writer for chapter 3, and so on, each throwing in their own monkey wrench.

each book was fun, and silly at times, incorporating each writer's own flair, and in some cases bringing with them their own characters. the books were seamless, telling one story start to finish. this project is for fun and for challenge at the same time. there are deadlines for each chapter; each writer has been given just 4 days.

there are 10 writers involved in this project, each having one chapter to write. chapters 1 and 2 have been submitted on schedule, and can be found on the site in the "Files" section, labeled as part of the collaborate effort. each chapter will be submitted by Lesley, in efforts to keep the identity of each writer a mystery until the reading.

the reading of this collaborative book is scheduled to take place as our scheduled Writer's Group Social, Thursday, July 25. the location at this point is still TBD; we are taking suggestions. we anticipate that we will consume more space and volume than our usual location at Books-A-Million can accommodate. as the writers appear to read their own chapters, in order, is when the identities of who penned which chapter will be revealed.

please join the fun in following this project by checking the files for each new chapter. and remember to pencil yourself in to attend the reading on Thursday, July 25'th.

thanks again to both Scott and Lesley for bringing together so many people with a common passion for writing, and for seeing this project through.

A former member
Post #: 6
chapter 3 of the collaborative project has been posted by Lesley, and can be found in the "files" section, with the heading, COLCHP3. it's ready to view a full 2 days early, giving the writer for chapter 4 an extra 2 days to tell us what happens next. be sure to click on the "track this discussion" link at the top of this discussion to be notified when each new chapter becomes available, usually every 4 days for all 10 writers. chapter 4 should be up and available for view this Friday, 6/28.

what do you think is going to happen next?
A former member
Post #: 8
great news. chapter 4 of our collaborative novel has just been posted. you can find it in the "files" section on this site. this gives the writer for chapter 5 an extra day to give us the scoop, so keep checking the site. 6 more chapters of clever and creative twists and turns, 6 more chapters of fun.
Abby L.
user 44588942
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
Does anyone know what happened to this novel?