align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Portland Maine iOS Developer Network (iPhone/iPad) Message Board › Ideas for potential group collaborations

Ideas for potential group collaborations

Brian R.
BrianuReeves
Portland, ME
Post #: 32
Many of us are interested in the potential of pursuing some projects together as a group during some of our monthly meetings or perhaps other additional weekend sessions.

Please use this discussion as a place to post any ideas you have for fruitful coding collaborations.

These could be vague or specific ideas for the kind of apps you want to gain experience in building, or just specific areas of interest, such as using bezier curves in CGRect, CoreData, online database retrieval and interaction, etc. etc.

I'll be spelling out a structure that I think could accommodate any and all other interests... and I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks for participating.

Brian R.
BrianuReeves
Portland, ME
Post #: 33
A rough sketch still in progress on features that could be incorporated in a single open source ios app:

I'd like to collaborate on an app with an onboard Core Data database taking the form of a question/answer Stack Overflow-like tool with a Trivia / Quiz-taking and Question Answering, voting, and commenting capacity. It comes to mind as a widely re-purposeable way for users to interact with a database, whether its via a random access Stack Overflow-esque interface or just a more linear quiz/trivia style experience.

It seems to me that any organization or business interested in promoting itself, educating people on issues, History, Science, the state of Maine, or a city, could create a database of questions pertaining to their subject using something like Google Docs as I'd done and give away copies of this quiz app modified to promote awareness of their particular subject using a quiz with multiple choice, true false, and other style questions, which could be propaganda for any cause. In some customized applications of this idea part of the point of a given campaign can be in involving users to add to the database, in others that info stream would be more controlled and be read-only.

The database like the one created by this webform would be an easy way to have the public or invitees get in on adding to the database accessed by the app, with administrative editing via Google Documents (or whatever else works).

more specifics coming soon...

// the following notes are commented out for now while my thoughts crystallize on this:

// - iAd
// - in-app purchase to get additional data modules from server
// - retrieval of database from server selling another such database as an in-app sale
// - with regular app upgrades including the updated free database
// - the first round of this could be focused on a standard iPhone app

Brian R.
BrianuReeves
Portland, ME
Post #: 35
Here's my latest outline of what I'd like to accomplish with a collaboration, posted after the last meeting:

- - - - - an agenda item for next meetup: to get interested parties among us connected with a repository with which we can all manipulate the same open source projects. Let's start that process now...

My idea for a first group collaboration is to build a tool, for both iPhone and iPad, for access and manipulation of a complex CoreData database, something that I'd tried to figure out a year ago and failed. I invite everyone to join me and feel welcome you to lend your mutations, augmentations, defibrilations, excisions...

It seems to me there would be no end to what an app could do once it has a firm grasp on a CoreData model, however complex it is. My proposal suggests a tool for access and manipulation of a database in the form of a question, with various optional fields for answers, categories, links, etc.

At first we'd just setting up a simple scrollable or automated slideshow view of each of the entries so we could check to see that what we're putting into the app, as an onboard database is showing, at full-res on all devices and being manipulated, however crudely. That alone will be a great accomplishment, at least in my book.

Then we'd add a search function, etc. I've made a long sequential list of features to add at the google code project just created at this address: http://code.google.com/p/core-data-database-viewing-manipulating-tool/­

I'll try to get together the next steps, at least for Xcode users, and post here soon. Please send your email address if you'd like to be added as an "Owner" of this repository able to make changes on the fly.
Brian R.
BrianuReeves
Portland, ME
Post #: 36
To that Steve replied:

I like the idea of collaborating and learning on a common project using the CoreData model.

Few months ago I found this site which provides some cool web services to use freely. You can even copy their server instance on the Amazon cloud. There has got to be something cool to do on iOS with this dataset. Maybe this can be added onto the project idea somehow:

http://www.datasciencetoolkit.org/­

Brian R.
BrianuReeves
Portland, ME
Post #: 37
Steve: It looks interesting and I welcome your introducing it to us if you'd be willing.
Personally, I'm likely to need a better grasp of the limitations of Objective C before before I look outside it. Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable in any of the other more common languages!

Right now I'm working on getting the project onto the google server, making progress, but if you happen to have done it before, or have another suggestion I welcome your help. I'm now using a demo of Cornerstone as the subversion client. I'd like to make you an "owner" of this repository so you can add things and test. If you're up to it: Please send an address my way via email. Anyone else want that? Just send your address my way.

thanks for considering collaboration on that,
Brian
Brian R.
BrianuReeves
Portland, ME
Post #: 38
A month or so ago I described the beginning stages of a project at this google Code address as I saw them: http://code.google.co...­

Here's the link to where you can sign up, if you're interested in collaborating: http://questionsapp.s...­

Suggestions for other projects or things integrate into this one are welcome. I am definitely excited about what the various permutations of this could do for various clientele and activist groups once it starts getting powerful.

Here's the address to the subversion repository I've created for the project:

Descriptive Name: questions
Unix Name: questionsapp
URL: https://sourceforge.n...­
This project's SourceForge.net Subversion repository can be checked out through SVN with the following instruction set:

svn co https://questionsapp....­ questionsapp
To access the Subversion repository:

Hostname: questionsapp.svn.sourceforge.net
Port: 443
Protocol: HTTPS
Repository Path: /svnroot/questionsapp
For clients that use a URL string:

https://questionsapp....­

Eventually, as the first 20 or so steps are in place, I like the idea of having a secret admin tool that allows the user to select from different potential interfaces and functions as a way to preserve earlier sidelined thoughts and experiments in the same app durning development.

yours,
Brian