Portland Maine iOS Developer Network (iPhone/iPad) Message Board › Thursday's meeting

Thursday's meeting

Brian R.
BrianuReeves
Portland, ME
Hello all,

It's great to see we're getting more members and more rsvps, so I'm pleased to announce we've been offered a larger meeting space, thanks to Tony Lewis, at 4 Tell Solutions at 15 Franklin Arterial in Portland.

I'll be posting more info about the location on the meetup page asap, but wanted you to know we're NOT planning on meeting at Dirigo this Thursday... instead just a few blocks to the East.

Here's a link to the meetup page now with updated description including offers of food & free stuff:

http://www.meetup.com/Portland-iPhone-Developers-Network/events/16958484/­
Tony L.
TonyLewis
Bowdoinham, ME
Post #: 1
Great showing tonight! Thank you all for attending the meetup this evening. Good to see all the new faces.
Brian R.
BrianuReeves
Portland, ME
Post #: 34
Thanks again to everyone for showing up and to Tony Lewis of Taknology for sharing so much... and for finding a bigger room... with windows!?

Also in a strong supporting role -- Thanks go to Fred Abaroa for the swag bags and sharing his account of the event in Boston. See his latest imagineerings at theMarketingImagineer.com linked here

and to our other resident imagineer Raphael DiLuzio professor of Art (New Media) from the U. of Maine and the board of the Maine Center for Creativity for joining us and bringing (and paying for) the 2 yummy Otto's Pizzas.

I hope you can make it to next month's meeting, again on the 2nd Thursday at 4 Tell Solutions.
As usual if you've got anything you think you'd like to share or hear about please let me know or just post a meetup of your own device on this site.

- - - - - an agenda item for next meetup: to get interested parties among us connected with a repository with which we can all manipulate the same open source projects. Let's start that process now...

In case you missed it: My big extensible idea for a first group collaboration is to build a tool for access and manipulation of a complex CoreData database, something that I'd tried to figure out a year ago and failed. I invite everyone to join me and feel welcome you to lend your mutations, augmentations, defibrilations, excisions...

It seems to me there would be no end to what an app could do once it has a firm grasp on a CoreData model, however complex it is. My proposal suggests a tool for access and manipulation of a database in the form of a question, with various optional fields for answers, categories, links, etc.

At first we'd just setting up a simple scrollable or automated slideshow view of each of the entries so we could check to see that what we're putting into the app, as an onboard database is showing and being manipulated. That alone will be a great accomplishment, at least in my book, as I'll finally get the hang of that snazzy visual flowchart-style mode of programming.

Then we'd add a search function, etc. I've made a long sequential list of features to add at the google code project just created at this address: http://code.google.com/p/core-data-database-viewing-manipulating-tool/­

I'll try to get together the next steps, at least for Xcode users, and post here soon. Please send your email address if you'd like to be added as an "Owner" of this repository able to make changes on the fly.

regardless of whether you participate in that: Thanks again all,
Brian
Steven J.
user 14468598
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
Thanks Brian! I am excited to attend future meetups. I like the idea of collaborating and learning on a common project using the CoreData model.

Few months ago I found this site which provides some cool web services to use freely. You can even copy their server instance on the Amazon cloud. There has got to be something cool to do on iOS with this dataset. Maybe this can be added onto the project idea somehow:

http://www.datascienc...­

Steve