addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Potomac Pedalers Message Board › Road bike recommendations?

Road bike recommendations?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on an affordable (under $2k) lightweight and fast road bike with good components. Up to now, I've primarily been a mountain and hybrid cyclist but would like to start riding on some of the longer distance road rides since I've gotten myself into shape this spring by running daily 5k's and cycling 15-30k/day on my slow Trek hybrid. Being new to road bikes and with so many makes and models out there, I'm totally confused. Trek has a carbon model in my price range (Trek Madone) but I wanted to get some recommendations from the group before I take some test rides or settle on a bike. Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 2
Any thoughts on the Fuji Gran Fondo 3.0 LE vs Trek Madone 3.1 in the $1600-$1700 range?

A former member
I just went through this same process and ended up buying a 2012 Fuji Altamira 2.0 from Performance. I rode Madones, Cannondale CAAD 10s, and others, it just seemed to fit me best and felt the most comfortable to me.

You mentioned the Fuji Gran Fondo in another post, which was the first bike I tested beause it sounded like a good fit for me. However, it felt too relaxed and too upright/hybridish to me. It did not feel like a "fast road bike" in any way, although I'm sure it's comfortable for long rides. Then again, I've done a few longish rides (for me at least... up to 80 miles) in the past couple of months and have been very comfortable on the Altamira, but I did also get it fitted by a well known fitter (Smiley) in Kensington.

Just my 2 cents, test ride a lot of bikes, narrow it down to 2 or 3 and then go for the best deal. Good luck!
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks Drew, I'm still looking so I appreciate your comments and will check out the models you mentioned and make sure I take a lot of test rides. If anyone else has recommendations/suggestions I'm all ears!
Michael G.
user 13280719
Washington, DC
Post #: 16
Specialized makes really good bikes. I tested a bunch of brands and Specialized worked best for me. As much as I wanted a Trek, it didn't fit as well. Some of the REIs now sell Cannondales - they also have some pretty good sales. This past weekend 20% off. Also look at buying a previous year's models - you can save some money there and often some of the components are better than the latest model. the bike store can do side by side comparisons. Aside from the bike, make sure you like the shop you buy it from as you'll have a relationship with them for at least the first year.
user 66782182
Bethesda, MD
All above make good recommendations. there are a lot of very good bikes in that price range. bicycling magazine recently did a survey by price range and it included most of the bikes mentioned above. i heartily recommend last years models as an approach to getting a lot more for your dollar and still picking up the support/warranty that goes with the original owner. i would also add, consider getting 'fitted' for the bike. small bike shops will often include a fitting as part of the purchase. there are also independent fitters who will really spend time and make sure the bike is properly set up for you. a bike is very much like a suit. you get it in the right size range...but then a tailor handles the cuffs and important details that make a suit look great. that's what a fitter does... with minor seat hight and set-back and handlebar stack and reach adjustments. it can make all the difference in the world to your comfort and enjoyment of riding.
Steven N.
user 8154392
Germantown, MD
Since you're in Rockville. I recommend you drive up to Laytonsville and the Just Riding Along Bike Shop and have Travis Evans fit you for a new bike. He can get things in all price ranges and he doesn't just build the bike out of the box, he makes sure it is properly set up when assembled.

FWIW, i have no interest other than thinking Travis runs a great LBS and he keeps my bikes in tip top shape.

ON topic. the madone you linked to has an odd mix of components. I'd recommend staying with the same gruppp. I think the Shimano Ultegra lines is a good value for the money. If I were buying in your price ranges that is what I would look for. Other than than make sure you know how you want the bike to fit. The can changes the position of nearly everything but you have to know what you want.
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks for all the great advice... haven't bought yet so please keep it coming or please give me a shout if you hear of any really good deals.
user 6996498
Washington, DC
Post #: 6
I am very happy with my Cannondale CAAD10. light and efficient. You can add the components you want. You will not be disappointed.
Steve B.
Springfield, VA
Post #: 52
You have some good information about bikes, just make sure you have the gear range to do the mountains you wish to do. Now just go get it so you have some time in the saddle before your ride on the 22. Good luck. Just did the Doubler Moumtain of Misery in Blacksburg. Great ride, but do the 100, not the 125.