Join us for a trip to the Windy City! As discussed at the planning meeting on May 4, we will travel together, stay at the same hotel, and have daily activites together, plus plenty of free time to explore things of most interest to you, since there are so many places to see!
Curt has found some discounts for us! To lock in the savings, we need to book soon. We will stay at the Hilton Chicago O'Hare http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/illinois/hilton-chicago-ohare-airport-CHIOHHH/index.html , located inside the airport. The advantage is that you will not need to take a suitcase on the train. Walk from the flight to the room, which is much less expensive than downtown hotels. Then take the train into Chicago. The cost per room is $291.00 for all three nights. The cost is the same if you share a room or have a room to yourself. The cost of the flight is $302.00 per person, round trip. Flying from MHK is about $70 more than from Kansas City, but parking is free, there is no turpike toll, no time waiting for the bus, and no driving time for Manhattan travelers. Taking Amtrak is another option, but the round-trip fare from Topeka is $190.00 and the train ride takes two days of your vacation (the cost of two more hotel nights will be more than the savings).
So, if you want us to book for you, please contact Scott by May 17 (May 10 would be even better). Provide your name as shown on your government-issued ID, Date of Birth, and remit payment of $895.00 for two people, $593.00 for one person not sharing a hotel room, or $447.50 for one person sharing a room. If you're sharing a room, you must tell me who you're sharing with. I'm happy to suggest somebody, but cannot be responsible for matching personalities to share a room. We are not making any "profit" on these fees, so if we delay, the cost may increase a few dollars. Paying by check or cash is as stated above. If you prefer to pay by credit card, using PayPal, Scott will figure the fee PayPal will take which will increase your cost slightly.
Other costs of the trip will be:
- admission fees (musuems, any show tickets, etc.)
- subway fee (to make this easier, we suggest you pay Curt $18.00 when we arrive in Chicago. He will use his Chicago card to pay your fare of $2.25 to take the train out of O'Hare each morning, and provide you with a Transit card to use to return to the hotel each night. You will need to add money to the card if you take additional subway trips. You should avoid using the Transit card to leave O'Hare, since it will cost $5.00 instead of the $2.25 due to a new tax the city has implemented)
There will be another meeting before the trip to get more specific about our itinerary, but here is a draft:
- July 11, 7:00 a.m. fly from MHK airport to ORD. Be at MHK by 6:00 a.m.
- July 11, daytime - National Museum of Art
- July 11, evening - Blue Line Cafe and a coctail at the Violet Hour Speakeasy
- July 12, morning - Navy Pier
- July 12, afternoon - split up to visit Shedd Aquarium, Field Musuem, or Magnificent Mile, then dinner or a theatre on our own
- July 13, morning - Willis Tower (aka Sears Tower), riverboat taxi
- July 13, afternoon - free time
- July 13, evening - coctail at Signature Room of John Hancock Tower
- July 14 - free time (suggested sights: Lake Michigan, Chinatown, Little Russia. Some of us may also visit Holy Name Cathedral, which offers a short tour including bullet-holes where Al Capone was finally caught)
- July 14 - be back to O'Hare Airport by 5:30 to go through security and check-in for 7:30 flight. Land in Manhattan at 8:45.