addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Preparedness 101 Message Board › Sampling bulk prepper food

Sampling bulk prepper food

Anne J.
AnneJ
Glendale, AZ
Post #: 43
I'm a pretty picky eater, and even though I've got a small stock of the #10 cans of foods from Honeyville Farms and other places, I wonder how they actually taste but am reluctant to open them because then I lose their shelf life.

I'm wondering if there might be a few of you who would be interested in sharing the cost and the contents of various foods: canned chicken, beef, eggs, etc. so we can each do our own taste tests?
Anthony
user 13655563
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 71
Anne, I'd love to but my diet is still on lock down for another month. When were you thinking about doing this?
Anne J.
AnneJ
Glendale, AZ
Post #: 45
I was thinking if 5 (or whatever no.) people are interested in, for example, trying the chicken, and 7 people interested in the beef, then each can would be re-packaged into 5 & 7 portions respectively and each person would pay 1/5 & 1/7 of the cost of each can, respectively. So we could do this whenever and you're free to actually use your own portion whenever YOU want.
Chris
user 48615992
Peoria, AZ
Post #: 74
Count me in.
jim
user 8844231
Mesa, AZ
Post #: 74
I wonder how they actually taste but am reluctant to open them because then I lose their shelf life.

Anne

Chef Tess at Honeyville talked about this in one of her classes about meals in a jar. If I understand correctly, you can repack the food in glass canning jars, put in an O2 absorber, seal them up and you get the original shelf life. That's why meals in a jar last a long time.

I also saw empty #10 cans and lids at HV. They are not what I'd expect to use with a can sealer. Instead, the lids have a little rubber ring around the edge. I'm guessing - only guessing - you pack the food, put in an O2 packet and when it draws a vacuum, the lid is pulled against the can lip making a seal. It's not really any different that conventional canning if you think about it.
Amber E.
user 24962412
Temecula, CA
Post #: 40
Anne

I am with Shelf Reliance and I would be happy to send you some samples of our foods if you want to message me your info. I am also often there visiting family if you ever wanted to set up a party I could figure out a good time. This is a link to our site.

http://ugottathrive.s...­

Chris
user 58129282
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 33
Out of curiosity I opened one of my #10 cans of freeze dried chicken, rehydrated it and even my picky cats like it. I have rehydrated some, mixed it with mayo for sandwiches and I throw it in soup and top-Ramen….it tastes like Chicken.

I also have picked up boxes of Mountain House meals – for testing I bought some of the individual packs from Outdoorsmen and Wal-Mart, they tasted pretty good (the eggs were better mixed in with real eggs, but I am not starving at this time). Most of the #10 cans also come in smaller sizes (Shelf Reliance and Emergency Essentials) so sampling is not as expensive.

My plans are to extend my shelf stuff with raised items (garden and animals): Powered non-fat milk with water and goats milk, chicken eggs with powered eggs, dehydrated chicken with rabbit or chicken, freeze dried chicken in chicken stock, canned bacon with anything………

After a few months with no power – pretty much anything will taste good.
Amber E.
user 24962412
Temecula, CA
Post #: 45
Again if anyone would like some samples I would be more than happy to put some stuff together for you just let me know. That way you can taste it before you buy it.

http://ugottathrive.s...­
A former member
Post #: 11
I sent my info but never received a reply or samples. Has anyone else?
Amber E.
user 24962412
Temecula, CA
Post #: 48
did you send me info because I have never gotten any from anyone here