NYC Shrine of Prometheus Message Board Science and spirituality - various other philosophical and historical matters › Medicine: modern, traditional, and holistic

Medicine: modern, traditional, and holistic

Diane
DianeVera
New York, NY
Post #: 747
In this thread I'll post stuff I come across concerning the interplay amongst (1) modern medical science, (2) the traditional healing practices of various cultures and, (3) the modern holistic health movement. Emphasis will be on attempts by modern medical scientists, and by other modern academics in relevant fields, to prove or disprove the effectiveness of various traditional/holistic practices.

I'll start with an article I came across just today: Tapping traditional remedies to fight modern super bugs on the eScienceCommons website of Emory University, about the research of Cassandra Quave, who "bridges traditional and modern medicine as an ethnobotanist, studying human interactions with plants."
Diane
DianeVera
New York, NY
Post #: 805
The website Quackwatch has pages on Common Questions about Science and "Alternative" Health Methods by Gregory L. Smith. Distinguishing Science and Pseudoscience by Rory Coker, and Seven Warning Signs of Bogus Science by Robert L. Park. All three of these authors are strongly skeptical (and, in my opinion, overly dismissive) towards complementary/alternative medicine of all kinds, but they raise issues that are important to keep in mind in understanding what modern medical science is and is not, and what its advantages are, even if one considers at least some forms of complementary/alternative medicine to be useful also.