For the nosy person who doesn't have time to read it all, but wants to know it all...
Friday, May 23rd, 2014 @ Price Chopper in Lenexa, KS, 7:00 p.m.
Plus Bonus half-hour discussion:
WILL THERE BE "HUMANS 2.0"?
Agree or disagree? According to BBC program, Humans 2.0:
• “It will be possible to download our thoughts and store our minds in machines.” Agree or disagree?
• “Biology and technology will combine to create a human version 2.0. When the power of computers equals the power of the human brain, it will change who we are; it will create a new kind of human.”
• Kurzweil: “We will understand the brain at the same time that power of computers reaches the power of the brain.”
• Hazor De Garis: “Kurzweil is dangerously naïve. We are on the road, not to immortality, but to oblivion.”
• When future technologies create computers that are billions of times more powerful than the human brain, these “artilects” will be like gods and then the question will become: “How will they feel about us?” Prof. De Garis says we can expect them to treat us as we treat mosquitos.
Mike Arbach will present the best 15 minutes from the BBC program Humans 2.0. He will defend most of the above statements. Fred Heeren will argue against them. And you? How will you argue, for or against each of these ideas?
Then: Our regular LAZY READERS:
Bring whatever you've been reading, and come to discuss that and what everyone else is reading. Subjects can include just about anything: fiction or non-fiction; history, science, humor, psychology, religion, philosophy; books or blogs or articles, etc. Come to talk or come to listen. No pressure, just friendly fun.
RSVP now. (It helps us know how to set up.)
We 'll give anyone who wants 3-5 minutes to explain what they've been reading, and another 3-5 minutes for everyone to ask questions and discuss. We always learn a ton. Come make new friends and learn something new about what they’ve been reading.
Come at 6:45 to grab a salad bar or café supper downstairs or just chat before getting started.
Afterwards: Meet at the nearby Blue Moose for more conversation.