Mailing List Archive

Subject Sender Date
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - Christopher, "Nevertheless, I think we are wise to accept th David Aug 14, 2014 9:47 AM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - Bob, The source of the Christian gospels is hearing voices that othe David Aug 14, 2014 9:36 AM
Re: [Provocateurs] Here's how to vote on THE QUESTION - Around 10-13: Growing skepticism 14-18: Practically an atheist 18-24: Atheist, but with reverence to religions 26: Anti-theist On Wed, Aug 13, 20 Raj Aug 14, 2014 8:40 AM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - Bob, Christopher Aug 14, 2014 12:40 AM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - On Aug 13, 2014, at 10:27 PM, Christopher wrote: Robert H. Aug 13, 2014 11:27 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Here's how to vote on THE QUESTION - As Greg pointed out, a skeptic continues to learn about reality and the world, though they continue as agnostic/atheist for the rest of their lives. I don't David Aug 13, 2014 10:36 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - Dave, Christopher Aug 13, 2014 10:27 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Here's how to vote on THE QUESTION - Thanks, Greg.  I think for purposes of our poll, it's pretty clear that someone who says " I had pretty much decided that there was no god by the time I was 19" Fred Aug 13, 2014 10:05 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Does religion make people better - Hi Trevor, Eugene C. Aug 13, 2014 7:31 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Here's how to vote on THE QUESTION - That would be a good book for a book discussion. DaveN I read books! David Aug 13, 2014 7:17 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - David, Here is a co reasoner Aug 13, 2014 6:07 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - Eugene, Did you watch the talk?  You see reasoner Aug 13, 2014 6:05 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - I suspect that much of the myth was added on, a little at a time, made to conform with prophecies from various sources. Some of the sources were outside the David Aug 13, 2014 5:40 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Here's how to vote on THE QUESTION - I have greg Aug 13, 2014 5:29 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - I am sorry, but I meant to save this as a draft and finish it later:  reasoner Aug 13, 2014 4:50 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - David, It is not an absolute proof, but it is an elabo reasoner Aug 13, 2014 4:48 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Here's how to vote on THE QUESTION - Greg, good story. My disbelief was fuelled by the incompatibility of scie David Aug 13, 2014 4:36 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - Christopher. I try not to engage in ad-hominems, so, I don't usually reply directly. I s David Aug 13, 2014 4:15 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - Chris, I have not talked to you in a long while – hope all is well with you! greg Aug 13, 2014 3:32 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - Dave, Christopher Aug 13, 2014 3:24 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Does religion make people better - Eugene, Aren't you arguing for what Paul might have thought here? I'm not sure what Paul possibly thought is important as we are arguing against what is in the Bible, and it doesn't seem like the Bible allows Trevor S. Aug 13, 2014 3:16 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Does religion make people better - ' Would this be your attempt at a reverse-no-true-Scotsman?' EC David Aug 13, 2014 3:15 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - Did you read the last few pages of the book? ...the Jesus of hist David Aug 13, 2014 3:08 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Here's how to vote on THE QUESTION - Fred, I have entered a response to this poll by answering that I had reached my belief by age 1 greg Aug 13, 2014 3:04 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Does religion make people better - Dave, Eugene C. Aug 13, 2014 2:59 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Does religion make people better - Are you sure that you are a real Christian? Since when do real Christians connect the do David Aug 13, 2014 2:45 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - I would add that ad-populum, ad-hominum and a bunch of other falacies are not a goo David Aug 13, 2014 2:38 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - David, Christopher Aug 13, 2014 2:04 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Does religion make people better - Hi Chris, Eugene C. Aug 13, 2014 1:51 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Does religion make people better - Christopher Aug 13, 2014 1:12 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - The question of the existence of Jesus has been of interest to me, though I think that no one answers the key question, i.e., greg Aug 13, 2014 12:54 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - According to Bart Ehrman, in his book, 'Did Jesus Exist?' you have to be a Jesus scholar for 30 years to qualify. I call re-purposed bovine excrement (bullsh David Aug 13, 2014 12:32 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Does religion make people better - Yes, I am well aware of, and have considered, the interpretive approach that considers n Christopher Aug 13, 2014 12:24 PM
RE: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - Good catch! I read 'Proving History' and have been waiting for the sequel. In the clip, he says the end of the year, but, doesn't say which year. B David Aug 13, 2014 11:52 AM
[address removed] - Ray, Thanks. I have the Discworld series on my reading list, sounds very interesting. I'm curious what you meant, specifically by metaphorical rocks.  If I remember correctly, in past emails you've posted here, you were relucta Mark Aug 13, 2014 11:36 AM
Re: [Provocateurs] Does religion make people better - Hi Chris, Eugene C. Aug 13, 2014 10:48 AM
Re: [Provocateurs] argument that Jesus did not exist - Reasoner, Eugene C. Aug 13, 2014 9:53 AM
argument that Jesus did not exist - Evidence that Jesus did not exist as an authentic individual. It's quite an elaborate argument by Richard Carrier. It's about an hour long. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v­=mwUZOZN-9dc reasoner Aug 13, 2014 8:29 AM
Re: [Provocateurs] Here's how to vote on THE QUESTION - In Terry Pratchets discworld there are no atheists because the Gods (who are quite manifest in his world) go around throwing rocks at the windows of atheists. I've had a few metaphorical rocks thrown at my window. My take Ray Aug 13, 2014 7:36 AM
Re: [Provocateurs] Replies - LGBT, Non-LGBT Americans Are Equally 'Moderate' About Religion - It is called causality. Correlation isn't causation etc. The thing I like David Aug 12, 2014 9:54 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - Eugene, You seem to be saying that young people are incapabl David Aug 12, 2014 9:45 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Here's how to vote on THE QUESTION - Ray, After a quick search, I'm still nit sure what you meant by "the Terry Pratchett Solution".  Could you elaborate? On Aug 12,[masked]:03 PM, "Ray" < Mark Aug 12, 2014 8:43 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Does religion make people better - Eugene, Christopher Aug 12, 2014 8:10 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Here's how to vote on THE QUESTION - I voted A, even though I changed from mostly Christian to pagan after 19, I have never doubted the existence of something divine. The nature of it certainly, but the existence is pretty much in the Terry Pratchet solution where I'm conc Ray Aug 12, 2014 8:03 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Replies - LGBT, Non-LGBT Americans Are Equally 'Moderate' About Religion - You do realize that things that hang around together don’t necessarily mean one caused the other. Judith S. Aug 12, 2014 6:52 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - Hi Anna, Eugene C. Aug 12, 2014 5:23 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Does religion make people better - Hi Chris, It's always a pleasure to read your letters and interact with th Eugene C. Aug 12, 2014 5:11 PM
Here's how to vote on THE QUESTION - Hey everybody, Thanks for the responses to help us get the question about as good as we can.  Our poll's accuracy will be improved with the number of people who answer, so please go to our poll feature on our P&P Fred Aug 12, 2014 5:07 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - Eugene, I was not at the p&p meeting, but I'm wondering just how long one would have to think about their decision in orde Anna S. Aug 12, 2014 5:03 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - Hi Eugene, If rejecting a belief in God early on is the criteria then yes I came to non-belief Lee G. Aug 12, 2014 4:35 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - Hi everyone, Like many others, I'm interested to see whether the atheists of th Eugene C. Aug 12, 2014 2:55 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Replies - LGBT, Non-LGBT Americans Are Equally 'Moderate' About Religion - Bible belt will be a quaint expression. Fewer Sarah Pahlins, Michelle Bachmans, Louie Gohmerts and Ted Cruzs. Americans might even get back to effe David Aug 12, 2014 2:45 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] LGBT, Non-LGBT Americans Are Equally 'Moderate' About Religion - Hashem does not care if the Gentiles are gay. If they want to be righteous to Hashem, the gay men should donate sperm (one time) and lesbians shoul James F. Aug 12, 2014 1:49 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] LGBT, Non-LGBT Americans Are Equally 'Moderate' About Religion - What are the pluses that we as a secular society will have that Americans don’t have now? Judith S. Aug 12, 2014 1:39 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] LGBT, Non-LGBT Americans Are Equally 'Moderate' About Religion - Most of the industrialized workd is secular. I have been trying to understand why Americans are still clinging t David Aug 12, 2014 12:33 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] LGBT, Non-LGBT Americans Are Equally 'Moderate' About Religion - Not understanding, David. You say there is hope for America. Want to explain? Judy Judith S. Aug 12, 2014 12:09 PM
A New Host On 'Meet The Press' Isn't Going To Solve Its Problems - A New Host On 'Meet The Press' Isn't Going To Solve Its Problems - http://huff.to/1B9Oc0w I started reading this one because of MTP, but it is David Aug 12, 2014 12:08 PM
Robin Williams Quotes That Will Stay With Us - Robin Williams Quotes That Will Stay With Us - http://huff.to/1A9bGl2 On a lighter note. DaveN Fan David Aug 12, 2014 11:15 AM
LGBT, Non-LGBT Americans Are Equally 'Moderate' About Religion - LGBT, Non-LGBT Americans Are Equally 'Moderate' About Religion - http://huff.to/1Bbv1Ud There is hope for America, but, it will David Aug 12, 2014 11:07 AM
Re: Re: [Provocateurs] Question - After 19 here. Don Don Aug 12, 2014 9:29 AM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - If you ask what I though at 19 that will not be a simple yes or no answer, by  long shot. On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Judith Steffen < Ray Aug 11, 2014 12:39 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - I thought we were still responding to quality of question vs. the answer. Fred, is that not true? Maybe I’m the Judith S. Aug 11, 2014 9:32 AM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - Wow Anna! Nicely said. Why make things more complicated than necessary? What did you think at 0001 hrs when you turned 19 years of age! Hope the ti Dan Aug 10, 2014 9:37 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - I think if you weren't fully decided before you turned 19, then your answer is after, even if you are still undecided. Anna S. Aug 10, 2014 6:58 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - I agree it continues to evolve. The question can’t really be evaluated unless one knows what answer or info. is being Judith S. Aug 10, 2014 4:34 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - I don't know that I could answer that- it was a process which crossed the age of 19, and is still evolving. Is there a better way to ask? On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Cr Ray Aug 10, 2014 4:25 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - Ditto...let us know when you want our answers... Craig Sent from my iPad On Aug 10, 2014, at 2:55 PM, Mark < Craig Aug 10, 2014 3:16 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - Sounds good On Aug 10,[masked]:06 AM, "Fred" < [address removed] > wrote: Mark Aug 10, 2014 2:55 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] Question - Fair enough question. Judith S. Aug 10, 2014 8:20 AM
Question - Hey Provocateurs, We decided Friday night to try to do a little poll by email to find out what percentage of our group was pretty set in their religious or irreligious beliefs by the end of their teenage years, compared with those wh Fred Aug 10, 2014 12:06 AM
Last Friday night ... - Hey everybody Want to thank Mark and Kyler and Eugene for the thoughtful ideas expressed at last night’s meetup — and the rest of the group for the scintillating discussion throughout.  That animated discussion ran right past ou Fred Aug 10, 2014 12:03 AM
Re: [Provocateurs] John Oliver interviews atheist scientist - Hello, Dave N Met you last night. Going to look at this Hawking’s thing. Judy Steffen Judith S. Aug 9, 2014 2:27 PM
Tonight: WHAT CHRISTIANS NEED TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT ATHEISTS - Topic night tonight, Friday, Aug 8, 7 pm at Lenexa Price Chop Fred Aug 8, 2014 5:07 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] 63 Texas GOPers: Marriage Equality Could Lead To Incest, Pedophilia - I think you are right in saying that they are projecting what they would do onto ev David Aug 8, 2014 9:55 AM
Re: [Provocateurs] 63 Texas GOPers: Marriage Equality Could Lead To Incest, Pedophilia - It's simple- Texas conservatives are naturally inclined towards incest and pedophilia and therefore everyone else must be as well. Fortunately their impulses are kept in check by strict adherence to religion backed up by their beli Ray Aug 8, 2014 8:12 AM
Tomorrow Night: WHAT CHRISTIANS NEED TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT ATHEISTS - Fred Aug 7, 2014 8:44 PM
[Provocateurs] Does religion, specifically Christianity, cause science -- A Moral Conundrum - I post my response to the subject line on my website. David Aug 7, 2014 3:43 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] What would it take - A Moral Conundrum - I know some 1s and a 7. I admit that I could be wrong, therefore, I am a 6. The question I ask both sides is: David Aug 7, 2014 12:15 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] A Moral Conundrum - David: "BTW - How do you rank yourseld on the Dawkins Scale? I can't see you as Keith M. Aug 7, 2014 10:50 AM
Re: [Provocateurs] A Moral Conundrum - Keith, Thanks for the references. I will try to find them. I am prep David Aug 6, 2014 10:45 PM
This Friday Night: WHAT CHRISTIANS NEED TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT ATHEISTS - Fred Aug 6, 2014 6:03 PM
How many fanatics does it take to fire a rocket and break a truce - Hamas: No Agreement On Truce Extension - http://huff.to/1AVymGO CNN is carrying a story about rockets veing fired. DaveN Is David Aug 6, 2014 5:12 PM
63 Texas GOPers: Marriage Equality Could Lead To Incest, Pedophilia - 63 Texas GOPers: Marriage Equality Could Lead To Incest, Pedophilia - http://huff.to/1AVgOL6 WTF - could someone explain this one to me? I'm no David Aug 6, 2014 5:08 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] A Moral Conundrum - Dave: You wrote: "I have seen that reference several times Keith M. Aug 6, 2014 4:28 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] A Moral Conundrum - Dave: You wrote: "If you can give me references, I will lo Keith M. Aug 6, 2014 3:31 PM
Science developed in spite of religion. - reasoner Aug 6, 2014 3:30 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] A Moral Conundrum - Keith, Where do you fit on the Dawkins Scale?   David Aug 6, 2014 1:31 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] A Moral Conundrum - Keith, I have seen that reference several times, without ever seei David Aug 6, 2014 1:23 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] A Moral Conundrum - Keith, Overall, I pretty much agree with you. But I David Aug 6, 2014 12:24 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] A Moral Conundrum - Syncretism. I guess that is the best we can hope for. DaveN David Aug 6, 2014 12:10 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] A Moral Conundrum - Interesting thought - fiction, believe in science, atheist response to the futility of i David Aug 6, 2014 12:08 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] A Moral Conundrum - I have indeed heard that story. David Aug 6, 2014 11:56 AM
Important Doc2 - Robert H. Aug 6, 2014 10:01 AM
Skepchick+|+Brian+Dunning+Sent­enced+to+15+Months+in+Prison+f­or+Fraud - http://skepchick.org/2014/08/b­rian-dunning-sentenced-to-15-m­onths-in-prison-for-a/ Thanks to Doug Greer in a Facebook post. Some of y David Aug 5, 2014 3:25 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] A Moral Conundrum - David, I only referenced reasoner Aug 5, 2014 11:43 AM
John Oliver interviews atheist scientist - Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Stephen Hawki…: http://youtu.be/OPV3D7f3bHY Great interview, also quite funny. JohnO said David Aug 4, 2014 8:45 PM
Fwd: No P&P tonight, but next Friday: WHAT CHRISTIANS NEED TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT ATHEISTS - Hey everybody, Fred Aug 4, 2014 4:41 PM
Watch "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Native Advert…" on YouTube - Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Native Advert…: http://youtu.be/E_F5GxCwizc I had to share this repurposed bovine waste. DaveN David Aug 4, 2014 2:25 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] A Moral Conundrum - Dave: You wrote: Keith M. Aug 4, 2014 2:15 PM
Re: [Provocateurs] A Moral Conundrum - I agree with much of what Christopher says, though disagree in some areas. The word philosopher in its original meaning comes to mind - philo David Aug 4, 2014 1:41 PM

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy