addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Puget Sound Wine Meetup Group Message Board › Grape sourcing

Grape sourcing

A former member
Post #: 10
Anyone here make wine and have some contacts over on the east side for getting small quantities of grapes? Most wineries contract out their grapes well in advance, so I'm trying to get a name of someone who will sell small amounts to homebrewers. I'm talking like 40 lbs out of their 20 tons available
Jeff S.
user 14542853
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1
Hey Kyle,
I have no contacts, but I'd be interested in working with you if you want to try to put together a group buy. I would guess that most people would want at least 100 pounds, so we'd probably only need 10 or 20 people to get to a ton. I would think that vineyards would be willing to work with us at that point and give us a decent price. I'd be interested in as much as 200 lbs. Let me know if you want to pursue it.
-Jeff
A former member
Post #: 11
I actually got in touch with a professor at WSU who put me in contact with a vineyard/winery in Zillah, WA. I contacted him and he said I could get some (i only want two batches so maybe 120 lbs). He said for smaller orders, there's no need for a reservation. If we get some more people on it, I can contact him and we really would have a reservation, or people can get their small amounts on their own from the same guy. Doesn't really matter since he seems willing to help the homebrewer.

I plan on picking my own that morning as well. As soon as I get an email saying he's at 26 Brix, I'm hitting the highway!
Jeff S.
user 14542853
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
Interesting. Do you mind sharing the name of the vineyard?
A former member
Post #: 12
David Portteus from Portteus Vineyard. http://www.portteus.c...­