addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Puppymill rescue dogs support group! Message Board › Tell us about your dog!

Tell us about your dog!

donna
dzeigfinge
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 163
We want to know about your dog. Please tell us your history and how you came to meet your companion. We also want to know all the issues you had in the beginning and how you are progressing.
You can also post photos and video here.
A former member
Post #: 1
We found Abbie in a small dog shelter not all that far from our home via the Internet. All we knew about her when we got there was that she was a puppy mill rescue and was 2 years old when rescued. We have had her going on 3 weeks, and it has been a learning experience for both of us (we didn't know anything about puppy mill dogs before this) I was surprised that she let me pick her up and carry her to the car the first day and she rode quietly on my wife's lap for the 5 hour trip back to our house. Abbie is showing that she is curious about her new environment but is still skiddish when she thinks we are looking at her explore and runs back to her bed. Abbie has discovered stairs but does not know how to get past the first step. We have managed to calm her down to the point that at times she will take treats and food from our hand and as long as she is in her bed we can show her some attention. Potty training is a challenge as she will not go outside or let us put a leash or harness on her but is learning that the pads are ok to use for now as long as they are not to close to the door. Abbie has in my mind made great strides in adjusting and is working on teaching us on how to handle getting around 3 years of abuse and it is our hope that some day she will learn how to play.
A former member
Post #: 2

Penny is still on generic Prozac and is doing better. Recently she had X-rays of her hips and we learned that her left hip is severely dysplastic and has arthritic spurring. The head of her femur has turned about 45°, is painful and prevents her from taking walks with us. She is now on Metacam for her pain and is more comfortable.

Our female vet had her father, also a vet, assist her with positioning Penny for the X-rays. When Penny saw him, she was so terrified that she evacuated her bowels and bladder. When the vet brought her back to the exam room, Penny came right to me and stood behind me, with her face curled around so that she could look at my face. She looked steadily into my eyes and smiled at me! I think that when she found us waiting for her, she finally realized that she truly belonged to us. It was an amazing moment.

She's been a different dog since then. She's more with us, as opposed to remaining aloof and distant. It's simply amazing. She is still wary of Ward when he is walking around, but she willingly goes to him when he calls her even when he is standing. He always gives her a treat when she comes to him and when he walks by her. It simply didn't work with me giving her treats to desensitize her to him. Miss Roxie Longtail, aka "Piranha" made this unmanageable. Overall, Penny is doing very well, although she still has her highly sensitive days. During those days, we provide her with a very calm environment, not that we are all that active anyway.

I play very mellow classical cello music while I'm making supper and all the dogs seem to like it. It soothes my weary, arthritic bones, also.

The biggest problem now is that Penny really needs to walk in order to maintain her muscle tone, but she can't walk enough to do that. I've been considering getting her a "wheelchair" from Eddie's Wheels. If she could adapt to a contraption like that, she could go for lengthy walks with us. We built a cart years ago and if she can handle that, she would likely be able to adapt to a "wheelchair." Both she and Roxie could benefit from such a device.

I want to work on increasing Penny's confidence.

donna
dzeigfinge
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 174
We found Abbie in a small dog shelter not all that far from our home via the Internet. All we knew about her when we got there was that she was a puppy mill rescue and was 2 years old when rescued. We have had her going on 3 weeks, and it has been a learning experience for both of us (we didn't know anything about puppy mill dogs before this) I was surprised that she let me pick her up and carry her to the car the first day and she rode quietly on my wife's lap for the 5 hour trip back to our house. Abbie is showing that she is curious about her new environment but is still skiddish when she thinks we are looking at her explore and runs back to her bed. Abbie has discovered stairs but does not know how to get past the first step. We have managed to calm her down to the point that at times she will take treats and food from our hand and as long as she is in her bed we can show her some attention. Potty training is a challenge as she will not go outside or let us put a leash or harness on her but is learning that the pads are ok to use for now as long as they are not to close to the door. Abbie has in my mind made great strides in adjusting and is working on teaching us on how to handle getting around 3 years of abuse and it is our hope that some day she will learn how to play.
Hey Mark. Just checking in to see how Abbie is doing? We have not seen you in the conference calls yet. Would love to have you join us!
A former member
Post #: 4
I'm planning to attend and will be sure to have notes and questions handy to refer to. Penny's backslidden a lot since my daughter and I went on a 12-day vacation in the fall. She's been running away from my husband much more than before we left. He told me that she was wary but okay with him while we were away. She always has to keep him in her sight. Wherever I go, she's not far behind. She's totally at ease with me and seeks me out when she's afraid. I need help to help her overcome her fear of my husband. My daughter and I are planning another week or so away in January and I hope she will fare better then.
Pam P.
user 196973382
Washington, DC
I adopted Pepper, an 8-year-old purebred Chihuahua, from a shelter 2 months ago. She had been at the shelter for 2 months by then, and before that had been in a hoarding situation and had been used for breeding. The shelter thinks she's had at least 5 litters, probably more. At the shelter, she was in a kennel with one of her "puppies," - a 5-year-old Chihuahua-Chinese Crested mix named Phazer. According to the shelter, she had been kept in a cage with him since he was born. Phazer got adopted recently by someone else, as well. I'm happy to say that Pepper is totally house-trained now (I didn't think it would happen - the first 2 weeks were bad) - but she's a sweet, smart little girl, so now she lets me know when she has to go out. I PRAISE HER EVERY TIME SHE GOES AND GIVE HER A TREAT, which I intend to do for the rest of her life! She is sweet and very loving with ME - she likes to be held and have her belly rubbed, she likes to be brushed and she loves sleeping with me. HOWEVER, we still have a few problems. My 23-year-old son lives with me, and she is very afraid of him, even though he loves her to death. She barks like crazy every time he comes out of his room - even though she's seen him multiple times a day, every day, since we got her. But it's not just my son - it's ALL MEN. My nephew, my brother, my son's friends. No one knows if she was abused by a man (or men) before, so....? I want to know if there is some technique we can use to get her more comfortable with HIM, if not with other men. ALSO, she will NOT eat dry dog food. I thought maybe it was her teeth, but she chews on Milkbone dog biscuits, so....??? She LOVES my cat's wet food, though....and SPEAKING OF MY CAT - she is 11 years old and has never been very friendly. She's extremely territorial and does not like it that the dog is here. (She grew up with our last rescue dog, Sally, from the time she was 6 weeks old - Sally died two years ago at the age of 15.) HOWEVER, things are 80 percent better than they were the first few weeks, so I have hope! ONE MORE THING - Pepper DOES NOT KNOW WHAT TOYS ARE FOR - NOT EVEN BALLS. I throw them to her and she just looks at them and turns away. NO TOY INTERESTS HER. My vet said she may never play normally, but I'm not giving up. I need suggestions, please! I love this little dog with all my heart and I want to make her life as happy as I possibly can!
Melanie G.
user 184500308
Arlington, VA
I adopted Sage from a local rescue organization two months ago. I don't know a ton about her other than that she was surrendered with a bunch of other dogs in a drug bust in North Carolina in the fall and then spent about two months in a shelter there before the rescue brought her to the DC area. She is a year and a half, medium sized, ~30 pounds, with a lot of energy - and despite being a mix of a lot of tough breeds (AST-Boxer-Chow-something unidentified according to Wisdom Panel) a total sweetheart and I (and my walkers, the apartment complex, neighbors) adore her already. :)

Sage's major issues have stemmed from fearfulness and anxiety, which occasionally but inconsistently manifest as reactivity - which has been tough for her because she so wants to play and greet people but on her bad days can't get past the anxiety. Some of this I learned after the first month was health related - she apparently arrived with a terrible case of worms that was left untreated and we're still figuring out some UTI like issues. The vet put her on an Adaptil collar and Prozac in the short-term as well. Combined with the clicker training and small doses of meet and greets with other dogs I'm also doing, she is doing a LOT better. We still go up and down though, so I'm looking forward to clearing up her remaining health issues and starting a confidence building class together in late March. Looking forward to the conversation here as well!

Melanie (and Sage)