Sumit A.
user 93474222
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
I have seen use cases where analysts extract the required data from the data store and use R for analysis, manipulation and visualization. However, most of them extract data from servers and use R on their desktops.

Does anyone really use R on servers in batch environment?
Robert M. Horton, ...
user 12069592
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 5
We use RStudio Server on our bioinformatics compute box; this makes it easy to share analyses without copying big files around. The bioinformatics workflows are usually batch processes, and we often use R for reports written with knitr. I just installed a Shiny server, but I haven't used it for anything yet.
Sumit A.
user 93474222
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Thank you Robert for the response. Avoiding data movement sounds like a good use case for using R on servers. I heard from few guys working in life science projects that they use classification algorithms for data processing on server.

Still wondering about additional use cases.
Robert M. Horton, ...
user 12069592
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 6
It's not just for avoiding data transfer. Central administration is a big plus; I don't want to keep R and all the required packages updated on the personal computers of a dozen post-docs and gradual students (have you upgraded to R3.0 yet??). The server also has a lot more RAM and cores than people's laptops.