RC Photo Club Message Board › Macro photography

Macro photography

Yvette
YvetteW
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Post #: 2
When photographing a single flower, is it more pleasing to the eye to have the entire flower in focus ... or is it acceptable to allow the background petals to be slightly out of focus to create depth (as in my example)?

I'm not sure it's easy to see when the picture is this small.

Anthony F.
af11584
Group Organizer
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Post #: 1
When photographing a single flower, is it more pleasing to the eye to have the entire flower in focus ... or is it acceptable to allow the background petals to be slightly out of focus to create depth (as in my example)?

I'm not sure it's easy to see when the picture is this small.

Yvette, it all depends on your final output. Is it for you or someone else. Most people like a "shallow depth of field" Meaning that they only want the subject in focus, not the BG. Landscape photography in general always ask for a "wider depth of field". So the aperture is about F/22 to create a "greater depth of field". In Macro photography a smaller depth of field is best, somewhere about 2.8-3.5 or so. Use spot metering and use manual focus if you have troubling focusing in on the subject.

I hope that helps.

Anthony