RPG Chicago Message Board Groups looking for Players › Looking to Start a Gaming Group in/around Bridgeport Area

Looking to Start a Gaming Group in/around Bridgeport Area

Alex W.
user 7934606
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Anyone in/around the Bridgeport area interested in forming a new role-playing group? I'm open to playing in most games, or being GM. What game I would want to GM is partially dependent on the number of players and the personalities involved. Here are some games I'd be willing to GM, or try to, in the case of some games I’ve read/own but never had an opportunity to actually run.

1-3 players
- Legends of the Wulin
- Legend of the Five Rings
- Vampire (oWOD or nWOD, but I prefer oWOD)
- Qin: The Warring States.

4-6 players
- Shadowrun 3rd ed or 4th ed, but with 2050 rules/setting only
- Mongoose Traveller (custom setting; something along the lines of either Firefly, Mutant Chronicles, Mass Effect, or the Android Board/Card games from Fantasy Flight Games)

I’m open to playing D&D or Pathfinder, but if I was to GM a fantasy game/setting it would be a homebrewed rule-set and setting that I’ve been working on for the last several years and is still a work in process.

A few notes, especially with regard to potentially GMing.

1. I have a lot of real-life responsibilities and my schedule is reasonably open, but inconsistent. Therefore, I prefer to have an ‘as group members are free/agree’ kind of schedule as opposed to a set-in-stone ‘every Tuesday night’ type of schedule. For example, I’m much more able to commit to a ‘twice a month’ arrangement as opposed to ‘every other Saturday’, because I cannot guarantee I will be free at that specific time/day every week. I’m also interested in establishing a more long-term type of gaming relationship, so I’d prefer if people are open to more extended breaks as needed, because sometimes people can’t play for a season of life, but will be available down the road. I’m open to discussing specific scheduling restrictions/availability once I know if anyone is interested in gaming together.

2. I do use house rules sometimes, but I take player input/feedback into consideration, always inform players in advance, and allow reworking of a character if/as necessary. The degree to which I employ them depends on the quality of rules as written. Not counting homebrewed systems/settings, I usually employ house rules to tweak a game to fit the group's preferences, as a corrective measure to ensure the game is internally consistent, align the fluff to the mechanics, simplify or facilitate smoother game play, or remove an obvious power-gaming loophole (e.g. One Stat to Rule Them All).

3. I have a pretty open mind when it comes to trying new games (RPG, Board, CCG, whatever). This is good in that as noted above, I’m willing to play and/or GM most games, even if I’ve never GMed that game before or I have to go get new books/materials to play. This can be bad in that I’m not really the type of person to play/GM the same game and campaign for a decade straight.

Admittedly, this may be because life circumstances have never allowed me to be in a position to do so, but the point is that I do like to mix things up once in a while and try a new game, or maybe take a break so someone else can GM for a bit. I think most GMs need a break of some kind from time to time, either as a player or GMing a different game, so I don’t think this is exactly breaking news. But I figured it’s good to get it out there from the beginning that if I GM, I will need a break from time to time to recharge the old GM batteries.

OK this is long enough for a message that might never be responded to, so I’ll just put it out there and see if anyone is interested in getting together to game. Regardless of whether I end up gaming with you or not, happy gaming everyone!
John A.
user 10265158
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
Hi Alex,

I'm getting back into RPG's and have no preference to theme or type. I'm open to any games. I've mostly played CCG's and ASL over the last some years. As far as sessions and how they are structured, I roll with it *groan*.

...eh

Jason
user 43064572
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
I'm in Bridgeport and would be interested in finding a local group. I actually found your meetup before I found this post, so you should be getting an email from me as well.
Alex W.
user 7934606
Chicago, IL
Post #: 3
I'm in Bridgeport and would be interested in finding a local group. I actually found your meetup before I found this post, so you should be getting an email from me as well.
I responded to your email, just fyi.
osrwol1
osrwol1
Chicago, IL
Post #: 125

http://www.meetup.com...­ 4 mi west of Bridgeport
Alex W.
user 7934606
Chicago, IL
Post #: 4
Thanks for the response! I've actually checked out your meetup group before but cannot join because Sunday during the day/early afternoon is a time I definitely cannot participate.