addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Raleigh Rock Climbing Meetup Message Board › Trip to Pilot Mountain Organized by TRC

Trip to Pilot Mountain Organized by TRC

A former member
Post #: 1
TRC will lead a climbing trip to Pilot Mountain if there is enough interest. They originally were going to have one on October 2 (Sunday), but a couple people dropped out, so they are now below the minimum size. The cost is $55 if there are at least 5 people. The trips are for all skill levels. If you are interested in going, you may contact either me or Alex at TRC. Thanks!

Roger
Nate B.
user 14449938
Durham, NC
Post #: 1
I've been to Pilot before, why does it cost $55? Where is this cost coming from? If I brought my own ropes, and gear would that reduce the cost?
A former member
Post #: 2
The cost is because it is a guided trip. In addition to the equipment, a TRC staff member will be along to identify routes appropriate to the skill levels of the participants and provide instruction in climbing techniques, safety, etc. If you are an experienced climber, have your own equipment, and somebody to climb with, then there probably isn't any point to it for you. The trip is geared more for people who are relative newcomers to the sport (like me).
A former member
Post #: 14
Definitely interested, as is one of my climbing buddies. Sundays work best for me. Is there a new proposed date?
A former member
Post #: 3
Heath,

Thanks for responding. Oct 2 (which is a Sunday) is still a possibility if we can get enough people. That is what I am hoping for as I cannot make either of the two reschedule dates they proposed. Can I tell TRC that you and your climbing buddy will come if it's Oct 2?

Thanks!

Roger
Frederick
user 12330006
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 14
The cost is because it is a guided trip. In addition to the equipment, a TRC staff member will be along to identify routes appropriate to the skill levels of the participants and provide instruction in climbing techniques, safety, etc. If you are an experienced climber, have your own equipment, and somebody to climb with, then there probably isn't any point to it for you. The trip is geared more for people who are relative newcomers to the sport (like me).

Since Pilot is a top-roping area, if you can't do a climb, the worst thing you'll do is put tension on a rope. As far as picking out appropriate climbs based on expertise, there's a guide book pamphlet in the ranger station which has the ratings for the climbs.

But if you don't have ropes or equipment, this sounds like a good way to get started. I go to Pilot frequently, I'll post up next time I go; you can look me up and stretch my ropes.
A former member
Post #: 15
Sorry for the delayed response. I just got an answer from my climbing buddy and he's not going to be able to swing it this weekend, so I will also pass at this point. We're definitely interested in this another time. I went to TRC's website but couldn't find the offer for this or other climbs. Is there somewhere on their website to watch for new dates?
A former member
Post #: 4
No problem about the delayed response. Even with your climbing buddy it didn't look like we had enough people for this weekend. TRC said there was another group that also wanted to go to Pilot Mountain but couldn't make this weekend either. I asked TRC to let me know what weekend they settle on, but I haven't heard anything back yet (which probably means they haven't settled on one yet). If I hear I'll post the information on this thread. One other person who is also interested in doing a Pilot Mountain trip also contacted me, so if you, me, your climbing buddy, and this other person could agree on a date, then we would have enough for a trip, but the cost would go up to $75 each if we only have 4 people.

The info on TRC's Pilot Mountain trips can be found by clicking on the "Instruction" tab on the TRC homepage, then scrolling down to where it says "Guided Climbing Outings" and clicking on the tab that says "Climbing at Pilot Mountain."

Hope to see you at TRC or Pilot Mountain one of these days.

Roger
A former member
Post #: 5
TRC has scheduled a climbing trip to Pilot Mountain on Sunday, October 30. Anyone who is interested in coming, let me know.

Roger
Cinnamon B.
user 13204472
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 2
I'm interested in coming with my husband and son, but not 100% sure yet if we can swing it... we'll be in Statesville the night before, so that is convenient. Do you have any more details about what times we'll meet and be finished by?

Cim