The Raleigh Rock Climbing Meetup Message Board › Trip to Manchester Wall in downtown Richmond

Trip to Manchester Wall in downtown Richmond

Tushar
user 3485235
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 8
Hey Folks!

Post your questions and suggestions for the upcoming climbing trip to Manchester Wall !
Paul
user 3513997
Arlington, VA
Post #: 13
I'll probably spend the night in Richmond, so I'll be driving myself. I'll be there by 9am, unless I'm running late (which is almost always) in which case I'll be there by 9:15.

Also, I wanted to remind people of the info Jason posted here­.
A former member
Post #: 4
It probably makes sense to leave from Vertical Edge... at least for me, it is basically on the way (from VE, take 70 to 85 north). Have we planned that part yet? Other suggestions?

Also, as stupid as it sounds, I would love to head to the Richmond gym for the second half of the day if anyone else is willing to partner up... sounds ridiculous to drive three hours to gym climb, but it is where I started climbing and if I were still living in Richmond, I would be at the gym way more than Manchester... it is a very nice gym. Hopefully the Apex gym will live up to it when it opens next spring.

Looking forward to the trip.

Directions from VE to the wall:

70 to 85 North (leaving VE, this requires a U-turn to get on 70 W).
85 to 95 (124 miles)
95 to exit 73 on Maury St. (22 miles)
Left on Maury St. (go about 4 blocks)
Right on Commerce Rd. (go about 6 blocks)
Right on Perry St.
Down a steep hill and head left into an a area full of train tracks. If I remember correctly, it feels like you are going somewhere you aren't supposed to go... but keep going until you reach a gravel parking lot under the new Manchester bridge (9th street). If you see any pick-up trucks with camper shells and Prana stickers on them you are probably at the right place. From there, use the sandbag stairs to get to the buttresses we'll be climbing on.

2:30 or so to get there.
Tushar
user 3485235
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 10
Hey Jason

VE might be a good idea as many of the members joining us on this trip are from Durham.

I have heard many nice things about the gym in Richmond, but I have got mixed opinions from members about visiting it. During the later part of the day, I am thinking of splitting us up into two groups: one group can either keep climbing at Manchester or head back to raleigh & group 2 goes down to peak for some more climbing. I shall mail out an updated plan for the trip sometime at the begining of the week.

Tushar
Kristine
Kristine_
Durham, NC
Post #: 107
During the winter when it is too cold to climb outside, I'm all about driving to Richmond on a Saturday to hang out at that gym all day.
chika
user 3538523
Durham, NC
Post #: 1
I have not seen message board at all...

I like Kristine's idea going to the gym at Richmond in winter. Teah and I were talking exact same thing on Tuesday.
Tushar
user 3485235
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 11
Hi Guys

Time to work out the final details for the Manchester Wall trip.

OTHER THINGS TO DO:
================
Manchester wall is located in the James River Park and there a number of outdoor activities that you can indulge in, incase climbing boredom strikes.

Kayaking/canoeing & tubing:
There are class I to Class IV rapids on the James river in the area around the Manchester wall. You can either carry your watercrafts or rent them from Riverside outfitters. They are located near Pony Pasture Rapids

Bicycling:

There are numerous biking trails ranging from paved, gravel to single track mountain bike trails demanding various skill levels.

Swimming:
There is a popular swimming hole in the Pony Pastures area, but its a little further away from Manchester wall. It might be a nice idea to head down to Pony Pastures to cool down after a long climb at Manchester Wall.

Link to the maps of the James River Park. Another good link to everything about Richmond and James river area

What did I miss!!...we might hit some pubs after climbing (Jason shall be our guide here) and maybe go down to downtown Richmond etc...Lemme know if you have any suggestions or know of some nice places in the area to hang out at.

BELAYING:
=======
We have a good mix of begineer and exprienced climbers on this trip. Since belayers mistakes are unforgiving on an outdoor trip; I am going to assign a set of belayers based on my HY, Paul, Kristine any my previous experience with their belaying skills. And the awards go to:

LIST OF BELAYERS (8 people)
-------------------------------------
JASON
KRISTINE
PAUL
TUSHAR
TEAH
BILLY
DONNA
NICOLE

TRIP FEES:
========
In case you are NOT eligible for the fee waiver for this trip, you can make a payment of $15 through the the paypal account that Hua-ying has set up (check the trip page for a link) or pay me in cash during the trip. This fee does not include the entrance fee to the Peak Performace Indoor gym, in case you opt to go there.

CAR POOLING:
==========
I have yet to hear from everyone about the preferences in climbing and car pooling. We'll probably figure that out on the morning of 22nd at VECC. In case you carpool, remember to share the cost of gas with the driver.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS:
================
I shall mail them to you by the end of the day.

ANYTHING ELSE I MISSED!!
===================
Feel free to bring your foldable chairs, iceboxes (I am sure we'll figure out a way to fill them) etc. Sunscreen might be a good idea. There are popular swimming and biking areas near the Pony Pastures. This is a mile or two away from Manchester wall. Might be a good idea to carry your swim wear if you plan to cool off after the climb. What else!!..Helmets are a must!

Thats about it for now

Tushar
Tushar
user 3485235
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 12
DIRECTIONS FOR THE TRIP

I have four travel routes to the 3 possible destinations listed here.

1]
Directions from Vertical Edge Climbing Center to Manchester Wall

After taking a right on Perry st. you will go down a steep hill and head left into an a area full of train tracks.
If I remember correctly, it feels like you are going somewhere you aren't supposed to go... but keep going until you reach a gravel parking lot under the new Manchester bridge (9th street). If you see any pick-up trucks with camper shells and Prana stickers on them you are probably at the right place. From there, use the sandbag stairs to get to the buttresses we'll be climbing on (thanks for these tips Jason).

2]
Directions from Legend Brewery to Peak Experiences (climbing gym)

3]
Directions from Legend Brewery to Pony Pastures on the James River (swimming, kayaking and tubing location) I didn't have the exact address for Pony pastures; but its located near the intersection of Lookout dr. and Riverside Dr. Shouldn't be hard to locate.

4]
Directions from Pony Pastures to Peak Experiences

I hope I have covered all the feasible travel combinations of these three locations.

Tushar
A former member
Post #: 5
Just to clarify the Pony Pasture directions... the little loop that looks like it might be a parking lot near where Tushar's directions for Pony Pasture point you to is the Pony Pasture parking lot (right on the river, but you have to take a slight right turn past where the directions lead you). If people want to swim at Pony Pasture (which is actually a lot of fun) they should bring 'river shoes', preferably old tennis shoes that they don't mind getting wet. There are rapids that you can literally jump into and swim through.

Good mix of rednecks and kayakers and high school kids at Pony Pasture if it is hot and the water level is right (too high and the rocks are all under water, too low and it is sortof disgusting... I don't remember what the level should be or where to check it other than driving there and looking, but I spent a lot of hot days there as a high-schooler.

All the other directions look good. I plan on driving and should have room for 3 more after I take out the baby seat.

A winter trip to Peak sounds great and I am not planning on a trip to the gym unless the weather turns on us while we are there. Weekend forecast looks good for now.
Tushar
user 3485235
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 13
I have a tiny honda civic. I can definitely take in 2 more people. It might get a little uncomfortable with a 4th person in the car.

Tushar