The Raleigh Rock Climbing Meetup Message Board › Climbing at Looking Glass + Lake Eden Arts Fetival

Climbing at Looking Glass + Lake Eden Arts Fetival

Tushar
user 3485235
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 14
Paul will be looking into organizing this event.

Tushar
Paul
user 3513997
Arlington, VA
Post #: 18
Since they are charging every day, I suggest drive down on Friday or Saturday morning, then spend 1 day climbing and 1 day at LEAF. Once we figure out who is interested, we can work out the days.

In terms of accomodations, I'm estmating four choices:

1) Cabin at LEAF: $114 for 3-day weekend pass + ~$25-$65/person. Not for me.

2) Camp (tent) at LEAF: $114 for 3-day weekend pass + $25 for car. Still too rich for my blood.

3) Car camping in Pisgah: $28-$38 for 1-day pass + $30 for 2-nights camping reservation, assuming that one of the 84 spots is still free one month before the festival...

4) Primative camping (carry tent, sleeping bag and everything else into the forest and hike): $28-$38 for 1-day pass + free! camping. My preferred choice. No restrooms? It's in a forest, right? Near a lake? Problem solved...
A former member
Post #: 1
Spending the night in Pisgah would be pretty sweet. Its been awhile since Ive loaded up my pack :D
Tushar
user 3485235
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 15
LEAF would be rocking on Saturday. So you can keep Sunday for Climbing.

Pisgah might be too far away from LEAF. There are some private and state campgrounds around LEAF, but the stategrounds close early (I am certain that theres one campground near Mt.Mitchell).

BTW I am still unsure if I can make it on this trip. Just wanted to put the idea out.

Tushar
Kristine
Kristine_
Durham, NC
Post #: 108
I like options 3 or 4 from Paul's list.
Tushar
user 3485235
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 18
Mt. Mitchell state park campground would be a closer location (plus you will be close to the tallest location on the east coast). Pisgah is more than an hr. from black mountain, nc and too much time would be spent traveling to LEAF.

If people just want to concentrate on climbing, there are some primitive sites that are at the climbing trail head (small waterfall at trailhead), but be warned, this area gets a lot of wind and huge trees come down very often. Last time I was there, the south face of looking glass was littered with huge trees that came down during a storm 2 weeks earlier.

There is also a big campsite owned by the national forest about 4-5 miles from the trail head on the outskirts of Brevard.

Here's a link­ to some of the campgrounds in national forests of western NC
Teah
teahq
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 15
Well sadly I will be in the posh Mandalay Bay that weekend - I am so sad to be missing the possibility of primitive camping.

Enjoy I look forward to hearing about the trip!
Tushar
user 3485235
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 19
Cool. You could be climbing at Red Rocks and then getting yourself pampered at Mandalay Bay. How about that cool . Best of both worlds

http://www.rockclimbi...­
Paul
user 3513997
Arlington, VA
Post #: 19
Teah, I guess I won't be able to gloat while I carry my 2.5lb tent and you carry your playhouse

Tushar, Mt Mitchell State Park is in Pisgah National Forest...

http://files.meetup.c...­

I think campsites 50-57 would work...

...unless (1) the National Park system is not taking reservations because their system is undergoing updating (2) all the sites are first-come, first serve, (3) we will be arriving in the late evening and (4) we have a large group .
A former member
Post #: 3
Hello everyone,
I have extra tents and sleeping bags for LEAF if anyone needs to borrow gear, let me know.
David