addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Raleigh Rock Climbing Meetup Message Board › Recommendations for top rope equipment

Recommendations for top rope equipment

Hua-Ying
Hua-Ying
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 162
Equipment list for top rope/gym

Second hand equipment is not recommended since your life depends on this equipment and you don't know the history of equipment sold second hand. I recommend REI since they have a great return policy and for harness & shoes since fit & comfort is important. Great Outdoor Provision is another option.

• Harness
  • Climbing shoes
  • Large biner for belaying. In general the larger the rope bearing surface is, the smoother & easier it will be to belay with that biner
  • Belay device, my favorite is the black diamond atc guide
  • Locking biner for the anchor, I like the keylock biners since they don't snag they're much easier to get on and off the anchor
  • Optional chalk bag & chalk? I got tired of the painful dry cracked skin caused by chalk and use a microfiber cloth instead

Members feel free to add your own recommendations.
Tushar
user 3485235
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 24
Dont forget the helmet for outdoor top roping.

Tushar
Paul
user 3513997
Arlington, VA
Post #: 59
Here's what my top rope gear cost (some of this is no longer sold):

• Singing Rock Balance climbing harness: $30 (bought 5/10/2005)
  • Mad Rock Flash shoes: $55 (5/8/2005)
  • Black Diamond ATC 36 belay/rappel device: $18
  • Black Diamond Mini-pear screwgate locking carabiner: $12
  • Petzl Am'D Ball-Lock locking carabiner: $18

Optional:

• Mammut Impact chalk bag w/chalk ball: $17 (9/16/2006, I don't use it much)

For outdoor top rope:

• Black Diamond Tracer helmet: $90 (there are many less expensive alternatives)
  • Omega Pacific Jake HMS screwgate locking carabiner: $14
  • Mammut Dyneema 4ft sling: $10
  • Petzl Tika LED headlamp (a necessity when climbing with Hua-Ying...): $23

So for most people, $150 for indoor top-roping, $250 for outdoor climbing
A former member
Post #: 12
Hey guys!

What would you reccommend for webbing and such (the stuff you need at the top)? I'm usin two 30' Blue Water webbings and a variety of locking biners.

Thanks!
Jesse :)

PS: I'm moving to Alaska a week from now. I'll be there through November working as the Op's Director for the Democratic State Senate races. I must say, I've truly enjoyed the comradery and the friendships I've made through this group! I hope to see you all on the mountain again soon!
Danny M.
DannyMcCracken
Cary, NC
Post #: 3
Dyneema 4ft slings (runners) are good if you don't have to tie a knot in the anchor to equalize. Cord-o-lettes are excellent for anchor building if you have to do some equalizing.
A former member
Post #: 13
That's good stuff, Danny - thanks! I just bought some cord-o-lette at the Trail Shop's closeout sale. I wish I'd have gotten there sooner to get my hands on the 40%-off 'biners and cams!

See y'all on the mountain...

Peace,
Jesse :)
A former member
Post #: 3
I would look at the Quad as a good anchor system for a place like Pilot Mtn. with lot's of bomber bolts in parallel. The current research but this thing at the top for bomber gear in parallel. Also, it would be good to learn the Equalette which for the most part taken over the non self-equalizing configuration of the cord-o-lette anchor. The Cord-0-lette will become one of most beloved gear that you carry. Smart investment in money and time to learn.

Climb High,
Al