addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Raleigh Rock Climbing Meetup Message Board › Recommended books?

Recommended books?

David
DavidSpalding
Durham, NC
Post #: 165
Gene was nice enough to recommend one of the climbing books to accelerate my learning, but I've only found a couple at REI and online. "How to Rock Climb!" (and I thought books with exclamation points were only for kids) and "How to Climb 5.12" in the Falcon series.

http://www.flickr.com...­

Of course, Amazon has a plethora of books, all hotly recommended and denigrated by customers.

Are there any favorites in this group which cover the basic knots, techniques, and ... well, "et cetera," for someone starting out and planning to continue for a year or two?
A former member
Post #: 12
Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills (7th Edition)

This book covers everything (clothing, knots, technique, equipment, self-rescue, etc.) about all types of climbing - indoor, outdoor, ice, alpine - you name it.

Check out the summary on Amazon or Barnes & Noble!
Gene
user 2984236
Cary, NC
Post #: 8
Traditional Lead Climbing, also on sale at REI, Great Outdoor Provision Company.
Maybe a bit ahead for a beginner but will give good insight to becoming a more skilled climber.
David
DavidSpalding
Durham, NC
Post #: 182
I'll have to look at the book you like, Michael. Granted, no single book solves everyone's needs. But one someone loves it a fair bet....

I ended up getting John Long's How to Rock Climb (4th ed.), part of the Falcon "How to climb" series. With the ducats I saved, I got a book on all kinds of outdoor knots, as I don't have one (and can't find my old Coast Guard "blue jacket" book). I'll be happy to bring either to a meetup if anyone wants to take a gander.

Gene
user 2984236
Cary, NC
Post #: 10
Good start. I found that book to be very informative. Good intro to technique.
A former member
Post #: 13
I just found a great link to learn how to tie knots:

http://www.animatedkn...­

just in case anyone wanted it . . . this is also for all sports and not just climbing.
A former member
Post #: 3
"One Move too Many" published by petzel is the best resource I've found for preventing and treating climbing related injuries.
A former member
Post #: 1
mountaineering book that someone else recommended is great book. working on your mind is just as important as technique - so i also recommend The Rock Warriors Way. i think they sell it at TRC.
A former member
Post #: 2
I think any book by Eric Horst will benefit you well. He seems to consistently back his assertions with research, which can be scant in the realm of rock climbing, as it's a relatively new sport compared to some of the more traditional "olympic" type sports. The Rock Warriors Way is good, however if you're not experienced, you'll benefit much more from simply being stronger and having improved technique...in my opinion. :) Read Eric Horst, and implement his training regimens into your own.