addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Raleigh Triathlon Training Group Message Board › New Meetup: Open water swim

New Meetup: Open water swim

Anthony I.
user 11961929
Raleigh, NC
Announcing a new Meetup for Raleigh Triathlon Training Team!

What: Open water swim
When: Sunday, June 12, 2011 12:00 PM

Where: Beaverdam Recreational Area
14813 Creedmoor Rd
Wake Forest, NC 27587

Sunday Swim- $6 per vehicle

Distance: Approx 1500 meters(FS Olympic Course)

Location: Beaver Dam-The beach is located at the recreation area across from Sandling Beach. Once past the gate go about a half mile to the big parking lot on the right. We will be on the right side of the beach.

Check it out!
Dave
user 10824990
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 1
The group that began swimming at Beaverdam last summer is back in full swing. We meet up for a 5:00pm start at the left side of the beach beside the boat ramp. We have kayak support and have a variety of speed/distance groups, so there is something for all levels. After the swim, several of us go for a run in the park, then grill out after that. Come out and join. I have set up a Facebook group for this and details and last minute announcements will happen there. It just became too big of an administrative issue to post the messages in multiple forums/websites/etc. We have been having from 6-12 each week, so if you are looking for some OW swim buddies, come on out.
Neil R.
user 3788135
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 9
Hey Dave,

You/we can set up the open water swims as a repeating event on here, so that makes it real easy. Enter it one time, and you're done. Would you like me to make you an organizer for events on the site? Also, what is the name of the Facebook group that you've set up for the open water swims? I'd definitely like to come check this out and I know of others who would too.
Dave
user 10824990
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 2
Hey Dave,

You/we can set up the open water swims as a repeating event on here, so that makes it real easy. Enter it one time, and you're done. Would you like me to make you an organizer for events on the site? Also, what is the name of the Facebook group that you've set up for the open water swims? I'd definitely like to come check this out and I know of others who would too.

Sounds good Neil. I just added you to the Beaverdam Open Water group on FB. Just let me know what to do here and I'll write up the event details.
Thanks
Dawn H.
user 31832912
Stanley, NC
Post #: 2
Hello,

I am new to this group, and also new to Raleigh. I did my first sprint triathlon last year, and wish to continue training for some in the future. I don't think I am going to be able to do another triathlon this year, but the open water swim meet ups have caught my eye. The swim is my weakest sport, and I really want to work on my confidence in open water, and build up my endurance.

At this point, there is no way I could swim the entire 1500 meters, that is listed as the distance for this swim, and I would also be quite a bit slower than the rest of the group. I would want to start small, and work my way up. I am just wondering if this is an ideal training meeting for me? Will I be able to swim a shorter distance? I really want to get some open water practice, and don't know of any other way to do that.

Thank you!
Dawn Hennessy
Neil R.
user 3788135
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 10
Hi Dawn,

Yes, I think this would be a good meetup for you. The group usually breaks up into one group that wants to swim long and one group that wants to swim a shorter distance. You can also swim from the boat ramp to the other side and back which is about .25 miles (there and back), so 440 yards. Also, if you're not completely comfortable in open water yet, bring a pull buoy and that will help you swim longer distances and give you a feeling of comfort and safety. Come on out, there will be people you can swim with and distances that you can swim!

- Neil