Ramp Up Manitoba Message Board › Is startup/rampup weekend ticket cost stunting growth of entrepreneur community?

Is startup/rampup weekend ticket cost stunting growth of entrepreneur community?

Dan B.
user 14175524
Winnipeg, MB
Post #: 28
Hello,

Would the entrepreneurial community be better stimulated by making the rampup/startup weekend's pitching evening open to anyone for free?

To me, it seems that it would, because it would allow anyone interested to come out and decide whether there are ideas worth their money & time to spend the weekend.

Requiring payment to attend the pitches evening seems like a prohibiting factor to entry and participation in the entrepreneurial community.

That seems right to me, but I'd like feedback from others with more experience in the area. What do you think?

Thanks!
Chris J.
user 41437532
Group Organizer
Winnipeg, MB
Post #: 3
Dan,

Appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on the attendance costs of the Ramp Up Weekend events!

The cost of entry serves 2 purposes:

1) It ensures that those attending are 'invested'. Having worked in several tech startups, I can tell you the investment in terms of time and funds to get something off the ground far exceeds ticket cost and 54 hours, so it the scheme of things it is actually a pretty small ask and show of commitment. In addition, the event sees people building teams and as a team member, you want to know everyone else on the team is committed to seeing it through the weekend.

2) Ramp Up Weekends are run by a 100% volunteer not for profit of grassroots entrepreneurs. Ie. A group of volunteer entrepreneurs put the event together on their own time for the benefit of the community. The event includes 7 meals, snacks all day, and drinks (plus a whack of office equipment etc available to teams at the event) which is actually a pretty great deal! We spend a TON of time getting meals sponsored or reduced in price, and use low cost facilities to try and keep overhead down. As volunteers running it, we also slave away all weekend serving food, cleaning dishes, returning catering equipment, and doing Costco runs rather than just going to a hotel venue to have it all done for us.

In addition, we have always provided tickets for no charge or reduced charge for those who are not in a position to pay - which goes to your point of accessibility. Ex. We had 50 tickets sponsored by Red River College to allow students from Business, Development, and design to attend at no cost.

If you'd like to make an impact in the community, please drop me a line at chris@rampupmanitoba.com and lets connect. You can volunteer to help run the next Ramp Up Weekend! The more hands we have on deck the better job we can do of running the events, raising sponsorship to offset costs, etc.

Cheers,

Chris
Dan B.
user 14175524
Winnipeg, MB
Post #: 29
Thanks Chris,

I was aware of those reasons, but they just didn't seem to ( in theory ), apply to the pitches evening/period.

Same deal in your experience, though? There wouldn't be higher participation numbers if the first evening was open to everyone?
Mario T.
user 78397222
Winnipeg, MB
Post #: 1
For myself the challenge is the time commitment. There should be a Ramp Up "Lite" with the same idea but scheduled to take place over a much shorter time frame. The people who seriously feel they are on to something can co-ordinate weekly or even daily meets independently after the event. Under those circumstances it would be easier to attend. And since I am thinking of a 4-6 hour window then costs (food etc) would be lower so enrollment costs can be reduced. If you did something like that people with outside commitments would probably be more inclined to participate.