addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Random Acts of Kindness Volunteer Group/Denver Chapter Message Board › Can you help me help First Descents?

Can you help me help First Descents?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi fellow group members!

A month ago I signed up to run the New York City Marathon on Nov. 4 to raise $3,000 for First Descents, a Denver, Colo.-based organization that provides outdoor adventure camps to young adults who are battling cancer.

The organization was founded in 2001 by professional kayaker Brad Ludden, after he received news that his young aunt had been diagnosed with cancer. He was only 18 when he founded the organization and it has grown in those years from offering one camp in one state to more than 40 camps all over the United States. You can learn more about them at www.firstdescents.org.

“After my aunt’s diagnosis of cancer and the awareness of how damaging cancer could be for a young adult – she was a young adult when she was diagnosed,” Ludden told me when I interviewed him for a story I wrote about him and the organization in one of the Outdoor Retailer Daily Winter Market 2012 issues. “I just wanted to find a way to give back. As a professional kayaker I realized kayaking could be a really powerful sport and I just knew that I had to give back.”

As we all know, studies have shown that participation in outdoor activities makes people smarter, healthier and more confident, and in the case of young people stricken with cancer, adventures give them hope that they can battle cancer and win.

“A lot of research that’s come out on the young adult population, and the market research we’ve done with our participants, shows the act of facing and overcoming outdoor challenges can restore psychosocial damage done by a cancer diagnosis for a young adult,” Ludden said.

Please consider helping donate to this very amazing cause through my donation page. Click here to visit my page. Any small donation helps. For every $25 you donate, you will receive one entry to win a Patagonia down jacket (one male and one female winner will be chosen on Oct. 31), so for example, if you donate $100, you get four entries for the raffle! But I'll be SO grateful for any donation from $1 to $10 to anything you can spare for this awesome org.

As of this morning, I am $690 away from my goal of raising $3,000. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my letter and for also considering donating to my cause!

To make a donation, vist my page here.

Sincerely,

Ana M. Trujillo