Raspberry Pi Message Board › How to get RaspberryPI

How to get RaspberryPI

Stewart C. R.
scruss
Scarborough, ON
Post #: 4
I ordered from Newark, Serge. Their display of stock levels is weird. When I first ordered (on launch day), it just said "Out of stock - back ordered". About a month later, it changed to a delivery date of mid-August. A while after that, it became mid-June. Then I got it last week ;-)

I think the Pi is in series production now, so wait times should be less. Place an order with Newark and see what they tell you.
Serge B.
user 29161782
Toronto, ON
Post #: 7
Thank you Russ

care to share what you plan to use it for?
Bob C.
BobColeman
Toronto, ON
Post #: 2
I ordered mine from Newark Canada as well and I show a ship date of June 21st.
Serge B.
user 29161782
Toronto, ON
Post #: 8
At this point it shows "lead time 141 days" .
I wanted to ask if this is the power adapter most of you prefer to buy

$9
http://canada.newark....­

Or is there a cheaper alternative.

Thanks
Stewart C. R.
scruss
Scarborough, ON
Post #: 5
care to share what you plan to use it for?

One is definitely going to replace my music server. I've been using a SheevaPlug for the last three years to serve music to computers and stereos around the house. While the SheevaPlug has a nominally faster processor and more RAM, it has no floating point capability, so struggles with MP3 re-encoding anywhere near real time.

Can't help you with your adaptor question. I use USB phone chargers (5V 1A) with a USB to Micro-B cable, which end up being >$20 each. Anything that will deliver >= 700mA is supposed to be fine.
Geoff
libertytoast
Group Organizer
Toronto, ON
Post #: 9
At this point it shows "lead time 141 days" .
I wanted to ask if this is the power adapter most of you prefer to buy

$9
http://canada.newark....­

Or is there a cheaper alternative.

Thanks

I couldn't find a better price at the couple of places I tried west of College + Spadina. Would love to hear if anyone finds a better deal. I have a few old cell phone chargers that I'm using right now.
Chris T.
user 45179502
Concord, ON
Post #: 1
Any charger for a recent Kindle, Blackberry, or Android phone (HTC, Samsung, etc) should be micro-USB. I'm using a charger from my HTC Desire that got stolen (!).

DX.com has a bunch of cheap options, though delivery is slow - for example, they have micro-USB cables for $1.80, or various adapters with micro-USB connectors for $5-6.
Serge B.
user 29161782
Toronto, ON
Post #: 9
Thanks for all the input, this board post is already information Gem !

Chris Tyler! My Perl professor in Seneca in 2002/03 - How i miss my college days!

Serge B.
user 29161782
Toronto, ON
Post #: 10
If anyone is interested a nice breakout board is available

http://www.engadget.c...­

Chris T.
user 45179502
Concord, ON
Post #: 2
I've ordered a bunch of cables and adapters from dx.com ... $0.59 for the cables and $1.40 for the adaptors for a total PSU cost of US$1.99 including shipping. I'll let you know if/how well they work...