addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Raw Living Enlightenment Message Board › The 30 Day Vegan Challenge!!!!!!!! Introduction and Welcome!

The 30 Day Vegan Challenge!!!!!!!! Introduction and Welcome!

Liz H.
RawLiving4Life
Group Organizer
Hyattsville, MD
Post #: 12
Welcome! I am so happy you all decided to join us on this wonderful journey. Lets first take look at veganism and its origin...

What is vegetarian - To be a vegetarian, means to eat everything but the flesh of animals (land animals and fish).

What is Vegan - To be a vegan, means to eat everything but the flesh and secretions of any animals (including milk and eggs)

British activist Donald Watson, founder of the first vegan organization, crafted the word "vegan" which is derived from the word Vegetarian, out of frustration that being a vegetarian had come to include eating dairy products and eggs. Watson defined veganism as as "a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude -as far as possible and practical- all forms of exploitation of and cruelty to animals for food, clothing or ANY other purpose."

With that said, while we go on this 30 day journey together for a mere 30 days, keep in mind true veganism is a way of life 100%. I hope during this challenge you will dig deep to get an understanding of what veganism is about..... Veganism, beyond the dieting trend. :-)

By the end of the 30 days you will certainly have experienced changes that are immeasurable! I recommend that you check with your health care professional before you start if you can (you can honestly start any time but as it is NEVER too late :-) )

A few helpful tips...
1- Keep a daily Journal for documenting weight (and measurements if you can). You should also be documenting the following:
Note your goals and intentions
Daily meals (including condiments), snacks and drinks
Exercise routine and if you meditate
General thoughts and feelings (whenever you do a transition such as this or when doing a cleanse you purge toxins, experience emotional changes, dreams and thoughts, etc.)
Take a before photo and after photo at the end of the challenge :-)

2- Vlogging about your experience is a great way to share also :-)

3- Stay positive and lean on the the group for support! That's what we are here for! :-)

4- Be patient with yourself (let your family know what you are doing for added support in your efforts or to get them to join in!)

5- Don't give up! If you have questions that other in the group can not answer send me a message and I will address it directly!

6- PURGE, PURGE, PURGE any animal products, undesirable foods or S.A.D. foods you have.... It's not easy going vegan if you still have "old bad eating habits" in view to tempt you.

7- SHOPPING: Before you decide to run to the grocery store and buy every green item insight, check you fridge, freezer and cupboards for items you already have. Examples- pasta, tomato/marinara sauces, peanut butter and jelly, rice, beans, and frozen fruits and veggies. Having the basics is KEY to making this successful. Oh, and EAT BEFORE YOU SHOP! When we shop while hungry we have a tendency to get all the wrong things and lose focus on what we are there for. Be prepared to shop by creating a list of things you truly need. Do not over shop... I always like to shop for a few days (for fresh produce to prevent spoiling) worth of food up to weekly. Many things can be frozen!

8- Drink LOTS of water!!!!

Now, are you ready to have a little fun and skip along the path to greater health and vibrancy?! I don't know about you but I am very excited. Keep your eyes peeled for my posts and please please please participate! Your feedback, sharing of your experiences, progress, recipes, etc. will help others make this journey...

Love and light,

Liz Harris
Raw Living Enlightenment

Ev.
user 7397210
Spotsylvania, VA
Post #: 39
Hola,

I want to wish everyone a wonderful experience and we embark upon this cyber vegan journey together! smile I've done it before and it totally do-able if you can plan ahead with your foods. I found that is is always a good idea to keep snacks in your car like nuts, seeds, dry fruits and water to help with those moments between meals when you can't get to your kitchen. I love fresh fruits so I usually will grab a few out of habit whenever I go somewhere.

Note: Don't make the mistake in over eating the nuts and seeds in place of a meal, they are very high in (Good) fats. Just have enought to fit into the palm of you hand and drink water.

Be well and Blessing! Ev.
Liz H.
RawLiving4Life
Group Organizer
Hyattsville, MD
Post #: 15
Thanks for the comment Ev!!!!

Oh and when i went to Whole Foods today I picked up some of the Tempeh Strips and the Field Roast brand "sausages" that we sampled at the VegFest.... :-) Delish!
Liz H.
RawLiving4Life
Group Organizer
Hyattsville, MD
Post #: 16
I haven't seen much activity here but I hope everyone is doing well so far. It's been a few days since the start of the 30 Day Vegan Challenge. I am working on recording a couple of videos to post by next week. This really isn't as hard as people say it is, BUT, it does take some research. To be fully vegan, you have to pay attention to the small details like reading the ingredients of things to make sure no animal product is included...even down to the vitamins or meds you take daily. A good example are gels capsules, more than likely any gel capsule vitamins/supplements you take are made with Gelatin which is definitely derived from animal. There are vegan options out there. With a little research you can find there are vegan alternatives for just about everything. Anyway, I thought I would do a quick check in to see how every is doing. Please do post an introduction to the group and tell us who you are and why you are doing this challenge! smile
Tammy A.
user 13312598
Woodbridge, VA
Post #: 1
Hi everyone,
I'm doing great on day 4. I had already began to transition back to vegetarian diet with one raw day a week when the vegan challenge was announced so this is perfect timing. I would like to add a juice day as well. I have tried the fajitas recipe posted with the non-dairy sour cream and vegan cheese but I added a vegan fake 'chicken' substitute and it was delicious. I'm glad you mentioned the gel caps. I would have never thought of that. So anyway keep the recipes coming even raw ones if you don't mind. I invested in a dehydrator and food processor for the raw recipes. I'm having a lot of fun with this. I'm doing the challenge to live a more healthy lifestyle. I want to maintain a healthy weight, more energy, sleep well, eat well, and prevent illnesses. I think that's about it.
Tam

Ev.
user 7397210
Spotsylvania, VA
Post #: 40
Thanks for the comment Ev!!!!

Oh and when i went to Whole Foods today I picked up some of the Tempeh Strips and the Field Roast brand "sausages" that we sampled at the VegFest.... :-) Delish!

You're welcome Liz.

Great you found the Field Roast Brand.... I decided to see if they sold it at Weggmans since it is close to me but they didn't have itsad. I did buy some Twin oaks brand meatless sausage to use in my sphegetti...it's pretty good!

I'm also gonna to try and recreate the wonderful smelling nachos that we wanted ( With Jalepenos) lol!

Has anyone tried the Yves veggi pepperoni? I'm gonna make a vegan pizza with Daiya Brand vegan cheese, Olives, onions, bell peppers, sauce, Twin Oask brand sausage and we must not forget the Jalepenos!

Oh and I tried the Kale Chips and loved them! I'm gonna see if I can make my own.

I hope everyone is enjoying the journey! Ev.biggrin
Ev.
user 7397210
Spotsylvania, VA
Post #: 41
Hi everyone,
I'm doing great on day 4. I had already began to transition back to vegetarian diet with one raw day a week when the vegan challenge was announced so this is perfect timing. I would like to add a juice day as well. I have tried the fajitas recipe posted with the non-dairy sour cream and vegan cheese but I added a vegan fake 'chicken' substitute and it was delicious. I'm glad you mentioned the gel caps. I would have never thought of that. So anyway keep the recipes coming even raw ones if you don't mind. I invested in a dehydrator and food processor for the raw recipes. I'm having a lot of fun with this. I'm doing the challenge to live a more healthy lifestyle. I want to maintain a healthy weight, more energy, sleep well, eat well, and prevent illnesses. I think that's about it.
Tam

Hi Tam,

Glad you are coming along fine with the vegan/raw way. Can I ask what brand of Fake chicken you used. I love chicken fajita's.

My reason for starting this is because I think my health is one of the most important things to me. I feel much better and lighter when I don't consume animal products. I really need to learn how to have a "green thumb" so I can have an even more healthy selection of fresh veggies.
Tammy A.
user 13312598
Woodbridge, VA
Post #: 2
I used Quorn (brand) in my 'chicken' fajitas but was actually looking for Morningstar chicken meal starters but the store I was in didn't have them. Quorn worked very well but I also like the Morningstar brand. I agree with the "green thumb" It would certainly save money. I don't have room for much but decided to try my hands at some fresh herbs. I'm now starting to clip coupons because eating healthy sure is expensive. Some one told me to go on-line and find vegetarion coupons which I plan to do.
Liz H.
RawLiving4Life
Group Organizer
Hyattsville, MD
Post #: 17
Hi everyone,
Tam

I am so glad you are enjoying this and are really making the committment to yourself for a better life in general. :-) Keep it up!
Liz H.
RawLiving4Life
Group Organizer
Hyattsville, MD
Post #: 18
I used Quorn (brand) in my 'chicken' fajitas but was actually looking for Morningstar chicken meal starters but the store I was in didn't have them. Quorn worked very well but I also like the Morningstar brand. I agree with the "green thumb" It would certainly save money. I don't have room for much but decided to try my hands at some fresh herbs. I'm now starting to clip coupons because eating healthy sure is expensive. Some one told me to go on-line and find vegetarion coupons which I plan to do.

Having a green thumb isn't difficult, it just takes a little practice and patience. :-)) Start off small with sprouting and "pot garden" herbs. I live in a small apartment and I've been successful with that...I wish I had more time to tend to growing but my schedule is so crazy these days that I don't have time to care for growing fresh herbs. :-( Hopefully things will slow down a bit so I can have a little more fun with growing things at home.