CHICAGO RAW FOOD COMMUNITY! Message Board › report on Whole Foods produce coming from China and NOT organic as claimed to be

report on Whole Foods produce coming from China and NOT organic as claimed to be

rawgirl A.
rawgirlchicago
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
this is why it is so important to shop at farmers market, grow your own garden, belong to a CSA or local co-op

ask Whole Foods to report where all its produce is grown to and to get more local!!!

video about the fresh produce sold in Whole Foods - how to trust is organic? or local?

It's an eye opener.

Click here:
Whole Foods Market China Organic California blend ? - YouTube

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=JQ31Ljd9T_Y­

RB
user 9703236
Evanston, IL
Post #: 1
Please remember that investigative reports/reporters usually are one-sided, and such stories should be investigated further. I know from experience on the corporate side.

The reporter did not include who initiated the concern nor what happened to warrant such an investigation. Nor did the reporter indicate that some vegetables are products of the USA, such as Kale (I checked the products I have in my freezer.) While I don't know the true definition of California Blend, I believe it refers to the combination of vegetables, not necessarily the origin of the vegetables.

The reporter did mention that the cameras were not allowed in the store; yet, even if WF was asked for a comment, it probably would have been spun against the company.

To know both sides of an issue, to hear the perspectives of both sides of an issue, and to be informed and literate consumers of information is so important, especially for food.

I'm just trying to create awareness, and how much the media influences our decisions, our behavior, and that the media needs checks and balances, too.

--Raquelle
Parag
user 4974895
Kenosha, WI
Post #: 65
Is this new form of economic racism? Now the target is product produced by people instead of people.

Organic is method of food production and no one country has monopoly. Organic or parallel standards are everywhere—Europe, America, India and China. Choosing locally grown for environmental reason (low carbon footprint) is understandable and appreciable. But portraying anything grown in china, even to highest quality standards, as unhealthy and showing complete distrust towards them is irrational and unscientific.

Introspect yourself: Would you see organic food produced in (East) Europe with same eye of suspicion as China?
Paul R.
user 25093732
Chicago, IL
Post #: 15
Unfortunatly there is no way to know. All you can do is hope they are either honest or think the 'confidence factor' in their products is important enough to be careful. I don't like the Whole Foods atmosphere anyway so I prefer VERY friendly Marianos at western&roscoe (they have made-in-front-of-you fresh squeezed orange juice, $3.33 two quart, and carrot juice, $4.99 per quart, plus other juices) or Stanley's at north&elston (they have a crazy cheap thing once in awhile like organic cherries $.99 lbs or organic plums $.59 or perfect non-organic strawberries $.25) I don't know how they do it. You have to go every week to be there at the right time. Hey' I just thought of something, maybe we should have a 'crazy cheap today alert' lol.

Format example:

Place A..address... sale cycle turns after friday closing.
Place B..address... saturday
Stanley's..elston&north, chgo friday

Pete's...organic pears $.99...6-13-12 (actual day you see it)
Erica's...Organic peaches $.79...6-15-12
Stanley's...LEMONS, non-organic 10@$1.00...11-15-12

Now you can see the item and date, and look at the address and cycle to determine if it's still in effect. Any produce item over two weeks old can be deleted by anybody. Posts only for "crazy" cheap for clarity.

Anyway just a thought.