The Northern Virginia Raw / Living Foods Meetup Group Message Board Raw/Living Food Questions › Question about organic produce in NoVa

Question about organic produce in NoVa

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi,

My name is David, and I have been overseas for a couple of years now and will be relocating to Fairfax soon. I know that Whole Foods Market is the big chain that sells organic produce but as I recall, they are also quite expensive.

I go through a lot of produce in a week. I am wondering what the best option is for buying organic produce in NoVa. Where I have been living for the past year, fresh produce is quite inexpensive - a weeks worth of produce (and I go through a lot) generally costs me about $25 US.

If anyone can point to either online information or a local source in NoVa where I can get some price information, it would be helpful.

D
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi David. My favorite is MOMs Organic Markets that are opening up in NoVa. There's one in Herndon, Va that I love and is now my go to grocery store. This Fall one is opening in Merrifield. Wegmann's has organic produce as well with quite a few locations in our area. You might try the Farmers Markets in the area. Arganic is a membership delivery company for all sorts of produce, meats, baked goods that include organic and local produce. There are other membership delivery companies in our area but don't know the name. Good luck!
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks Christine!
Candice S.
user 8902134
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 2
Hi David, You may also want to check into the local CSA's (Community Sponsored Agriculture) in your area. You can probably find them by going online and googling for them. We have several here in Maryland. One of them is a biodynamic foods CSA that my husband and I belonged to - they deliver to Virginia. It's called the spiritual food CSA and it's home base is in Bethesda. We stopped using them because they expanded outside the fruits and veggies and had too many foods we dont eat anymore - ie bread, cheese, homemade pasta and the like. If you don't mind eating those foods or giving them away, they screen their farmers really well and have a deep commmitment to supporting Biodynamic farmers. All the best with your search. We also shop at MOM's (in Rockville) -- the cost of organic produce is similar to Whole Foods but you know everythign you pick up is organic. We've come to love MOM's.