The 1st of February, trains depart from all over Spain (and one from France), carrying prochoice campaigners to Madrid, where they will hand Spanish MPs the text ‘Because it’s my choice’. The right of Spanish women to access safe and legal abortion is currently under threat with the proposal to reform the law in a highly restrictive fashion by Spain’s ruling party, the Partido Popular. The text ‘Because it’s my choice’ states ‘Because […] I am free, and I live in a democracy, I demand the continuity of the current Law of Sexual and Reproductive Health and pregnancy termination to promote the moral autonomy, to preserve the freedom of conscience, and to guarantee the plurality and diversity of all women.’
We stand in solidarity with Spanish women and their right to access safe and legal abortion and we wish to show our support from the UK.
For those of you unable to make your way to Madrid, but who want to demonstrate your support, we will be travelling to Madrid ‘in spirit’ via a symbolic journey from Charing Cross Station to Waterloo East, and then meeting at 1pm at Hungerford Bridge, London on Saturday, 1st of February. Join us! The women of Spain need your support! We must stop this law from being passed!
What to do and where to go:
1. Get started on decorating your hangers for the 1st of Feb. Here are some examples:
It doesn’t matter how artistic they are, whether they can contain messages or not …feel free to express yourself!
2. Dress in pink, red, pinky orange, purple, fuchsia, coral…whether it’s a scarf or a hat, or top to toe!
3. On Saturday the 1st of Feb, travel with friends, children, partners, family, etc. to Waterloo East from Charing Cross station in order to make it to Hungerford Bridge for 1pm.
4. Take pics of your hangers on the train or at the station and then tweet/post/share them to show our support to the women of Spain. #train2madrid #bellyhangers
5. Bring whistles, music, colourful banners, food, whatever you think will cheer up the atmosphere. We will then tie our decorated hangers to the Hungerford Bridge and leave them for passers-by.
The Bellyhanger Revolution begins here!
Email enquiries: [masked]