Recovering from Religion - Phoenix Message Board › A TOAST to Life!

A TOAST to Life!

Bob
user 2326427
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 190
A gentleman named Richard Yao, who in 1985 was one of the founders of Fundamentalists Anonymous (FA, a grassroots support group movement very similar to Recovering from Religion), wrote a pamphlet entitled "Breaking Free" in which he outlined a 5-step program for recovering from religious addiction. His pamphlet was helpful to me during my recovery from fundamentalist evangelical Christianity, and I would like to share it with you. He called his recovery program "A TOAST to Life," with each letter of the word "TOAST" representing a step in the program, as follows:

T - Taking Responsibility
O - One Step at a Time
A - Association
S - Self-Esteem
T - To be Brave, Act Brave

The recovery program is most appropriate for people who are breaking free from a deep indoctrination in a fundamentalist religion. For example, fundamentalist Christianity is best characterized by the belief that the Bible is the Word of God, is inerrant in all matters, and its meaning can be ascertained by a literal reading of the text. However, Yao's recovery program contains ideas that could be helpful to anyone leaving their religion, regardless of whether or not it was a fundamentalist religion. Over the next several weeks, I will reproduce the portions of the text of Yao's pamphlet that outline his recovery program,"A TOAST to Life".
Chris
user 35999192
Group Organizer
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 10
Having not grown up in that environment, I'm not really the expert in this matter, but based on what you've told me so far, this seems spot-on. Groups like AA teach you that it's "in god's hands" and to admit you are powerless. That's like letting go of the wheel when your car is spinning out of control. It tends to not produce beneficial outcomes. Case in point, the success rate of AA is pretty abysmal: http://www.orange-pap...­.

I think it's good to have a plan for these things on the personal level. Keep up the good work, Bob.
Dana D.
user 90187162
Surprise, AZ
Post #: 3
This was nice. smile Really encouraging.
Bob
user 2326427
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 228
Perhaps a 5-step recovery program is more efficient and effective than, say, a 12-step program (I honestly don't know). I did read about a 12-step recovery program for religious addicts in a source that I don't recall even though I committed the steps to writing. I won't list them here, but if anyone's interested just e-mail me and I'll share them with you.
Kwen B.
user 59151912
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
UNfortunately~ This seems pretty obscure, I can't find any details or actual lit from a google search about A TOAST, which makes me skeptical at best. Would be great if this were easily accessible for everyone. Just sayin'
Bob
user 2326427
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 253
Kwen, the five steps were reproduced in separate postings to this "Discussions" board some time ago, just look for the titles in all caps.
Bob
user 2326427
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 254
Just a note that Richard Yao, one of the co-founders of Fundamentalists Anonymous, is no longer associated with that support group. In fact, Fundamentalists Anonymous was dissolved prior to 1990. He published the "Breaking Free" booklet, which contains his 5-step program, in 1987, but I don't consider it dated material, I think it's very relevant for anyone leaving a fundamentalist church/religion.