align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Recovering from Religion - Phoenix Message Board › Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Bob
user 2326427
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 212
I'd like to recommend two books that I found helpful during the period in my life when I was breaking free from the influence of fundamentalist evangelical Christianity. One is entitled Leaving the Fold by Marlene Winell, a PhD psychologist. She describes her book as "a guide for former fundamentalists and others leaving their religion." The other book is The Mind of the Bible-Believer by Edmund D. Cohen, also a PhD psychologist. Dr. Winell summarizes Dr. Cohen's book as a "fascinating in-depth examination of the psychological manipulations in biblically based Christianity. Tough reading, but worth it." I had to special-order both of these books.