addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Red Mountain Makers Message Board › Vacuum Pump

Vacuum Pump

Jonathan G
user 58270532
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 1
Can anyone help me source or give advice on buying a vacuum pump? I have a project in mind that would require vacuum bagging wood to a custom mold. I would like to get a vacuum pump that could also be used for a vacuum former down the road. Anyone familiar with any brands or websites?
Seth L.
user 43947152
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 4
Does it need to pull a true vacuum, -mmHg? If not most of the diy vacuum formers I have seen use shop vacs.
Jonathan G
user 58270532
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 2
Yeah only because I would like to use a single pump for two purposes. With the vacuum bagging I will be forcing wood into a specific shape or could use it to custom fiberglass shapes. I'm not familiar with the bagging style of wood working but I would imagine it needs a little more pep than a shop vac could deliver. To be able to use the same pump for a vacuum former just helps me justify the initial cost.
David
dhj
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 1
Convert an air compressor? This guy boasts 0.9 bar vacuum: http://www.youtube.co...­

I think Harbor Freight has one brand of air compressors that is good quality and reasonably priced, but one of their brands is not good quality. I think Houston knows which is which, probably some other members too.
A former member
Post #: 5
Converting an air compressor is the easiest way to go, and using a shop vac to do the preliminary vacuum would save time. Giving the shop vac a good going-over to close up air bypass routes, close up tolerances, etc, is a good idea, those things can be awfully leaky. Converting a 12v pump is as easy as putting the entire thing into a 4" pipe (pvc or iron) with endcaps, providing a set of wires in for power, a port for the pump to push air out, and a port for you to attach the vac hose. For very slow and deep vacs, a refridge or air conditioner compressor is the olde standby.