The New York City Republican Party Meetup Group Message Board › Where are the Republican Candidates?

Where are the Republican Candidates?

Nasir M.
nasirmuhammadconsu...
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 170

From today’s Heard Around Town:

* With Manhattan State Sen. Tom Duane announcing his retirement last night, rumors are already circulating about who will run for his coveted West Side seat — and petitioning begins on Tuesday. One name that has emerged already is that of Brad Hoylman, the senior vice president and general counsel for the Partnership for New York City, who had been planning to run for term-limited Council Speaker Christine Quinn‘s seat. Hoylman, who did not return a request for comment, is thought to have a strong chance at getting Duane’s backing. Meanwhile, Hoylman’s potential opponent in that Council race, Community Board 4 chairman Corey Johnson, is also getting some encouragement to run, sources said. Another person interested is said to be Joe Belluck, a prominent and affluent attorney who is a SUNY trustee. (Belluck heads a law firm for which Senate Minority Leader John Sampson serves “of counsel.”) And Councilwoman Rosie Mendez, who would not have to give up her seat to run, is another logical potential candidate, as are Assemblyman Brian Kavanaugh and Assemblywoman Deborah Glick. Other elected officials in the area include Councilwoman Gale Brewer, who has been planning to run for Manhattan borough president, and Councilman Dan Garodnick, who is running for New York City comptroller.
A former member
Post #: 7
Even though you posted this last year, I think its an issue which still affects the GOP even today. There are simply not enough candidates coming forward, who are ready to engage in smart, retail politics at the local level. The best and the brightest have shied away from NYC and Hudson County, NJ because, in their minds, why bother? And I think the traditional support network of volunteers who normally come to the aid of young candidates, or people new to politics, is also lacking in our urban sprawl.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but the question is still a burning one.
A former member
Post #: 12
In fact, I have some ideas on this.... Would love to chat to other interested people regarding candidacy in NYC.
Nasir M.
nasirmuhammadconsu...
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 192
People who are genuinely drawn to elective office, but, have no coterie to staff a campaign often gather their own qualifying signatures for ballot access and vie for name recognition through active campaigning. Getting your name in front of the public requires a deft Public Relations effort, but, the effort can draw enough attention to set the stage for an active advocacy platform post election. How effective your advocacy program will set the stage for subsequent electoral success.
Nasir M.
nasirmuhammadconsu...
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 193
If you are thinking of becoming a candidate for office and would like reading material to clarify your thoughts, I am including a title to a book for you: Becoming a Candidate: Political Ambition and the Decision to Run for Office, by Jennifer L. Lawless
Nasir M.
nasirmuhammadconsu...
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 198
A resource for women of Conservative ideology.
http://www.maggieslis...­.
Some would characterize this as a Conservative Women's Angies List.
A former member
Post #: 16
If you are thinking of becoming a candidate for office and would like reading material to clarify your thoughts, I am including a title to a book for you: Becoming a Candidate: Political Ambition and the Decision to Run for Office, by Jennifer L. Lawless
I will check it out. I have used the manual put out by the old TR Club (not sure if they are still around). It is also quite helpful for republican candidates, if you can find a copy. Glad to provide a photocopy if someone is interested.

And a deft hand is indeed needed for PR. I agree. That's where a new way of thinking is needed.

I recently followed the Fulop Campaign in Jersey City crushing Mayor Healy's bid for re-election. I know, he's a democrat and he was opposed to a rather embarrassing incumbent, but Healy was tied into the traditional Democratic machine, he was in an incumbent slot and endorsed by the President, and Healy fought incredibly dirty. There were a total of 34,000 votes cast for the top 2 contenders for mayor, out of a town of approximately 250,000 people. Those numbers are comparable to any NYC district.

Nonetheless Fulop showed how astute marketing efforts and a keen strategy of Town Hall meetings, bipartisanship and GOTV can really work. I think Republican candidates should study that campaign, closely, among a few others, to really see where the bang for their buck is in large urban settings.

And that's what I would like to discuss with any campaign-oriented folks....