addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Triangle Scuba Group Message Board › Sailing/Diving trip Virgin Is (or other group of islands)

Sailing/Diving trip Virgin Is (or other group of islands)

Rick
user 2943791
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 87
Here are some numbers from that quote. The total amount
including boat with captain and all taxes and insurance for 7
days is $14,233.50. The boat can accommodate 10 people, so if
we have 10 people it will be $1,423.35 each. Plus they expect
10-15% gratuity. This is a little more than I was expecting
and I think it's only worth it if we have 10 people and nobody
drops out. We will also need to pay for air fare, food and
diving. The sailing boat will not accommodate tanks but they
said they can hook us up with dive operations on the islands.

This figure includes $949.50 ($95 each) for optional trip
insurance. Without this we will not get any refund for anyone
canceling within the last 90 days. The skipper's piece of the
bill is $1,358, so if we can navigate the boat ourselves we can
save $136 each (plus gratuities).

I had to give a date, so I picked March 5 through March 11.
2011 (Saturday to Saturday), but later I checked air fares from
RDU to EIS (Beef Island Airport in the British Virgin Islands)
and I found out they are cheaper if we do it Tuesday-to-Tuesday
($518 instead of $684).

I wanted to discuss this at the next monthly meting but I'm
going to be camping in Virginia the weekend of July 24th.
Perhaps you can circulate this info and see what they think.

Thanks

Charles
Lou
user 11553185
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 1
This is a great idea, Charles. Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

I am all for maximum fun at minimum cost, but I never hesitate to spend a little more if it makes things smoother, safer, or nicer. Usually, but not always, it only costs a little more to go first class. Granted, over my years of travel the incremental "first class" parts have accumulated to become a big number, but never have I looked back and regretted spending a penny of it. So count me in for whatever, and I especially like the thought of renting a skipper and his nav skills.

Let's see where this goes. Nice work!

Lou
Rick S.
user 89137152
Fayetteville, NC
Post #: 1
I sail my 33 ft. sail boat and i have looked at some bare boat deals. cheaper on the money and i hate to pay a skipper to do what i love to do. I am trying to hook up a deal for a 30 ft. power boat (CC) now and looks like he will go for it. Have to keep it clean and all of that. My sail boat is docked at sound off of HY 55. But the power boat i can move on the road. My problem is I still work and timing is could be a problem. With the nav. today, (stopped shooting stars a long time ago) finding a place is pretty easy any more. but any way, I would love to take a dive trip and learn more. I am real new to the diving and am looking to get more time in the water.
Rick