Feb 16, 2014 · 2:00 PM
Or: Brian Finally Delivers on a Promise from Mid-2013
THIS IS AN ULTRA-BEGINNER SESSION. Since the end of the poker boom, it has been difficult to learn to play from the beginning (without getting fleeced by better players). This is a teaching session for those of you who want to learn but never got the chance.
NO MONEY IS INVOLVED. There will be play, but we will be focused on teaching. Come prepared to learn!
We will cover:
1. The Rules - Learn the basics and how to play. It will help if you already know how hands are ranked, but we'll go over it again.
2. Basic strategy - understand hand strength and simple betting strategy.
3. Example hands - we'll play some hands face-up to show how a typical hand of poker might go. Everyone gets their own hand, but decisions will be structured.
4. Example hands II - cards go face-down, but it's still an example. Everyone plays the same hand, and collectively evaluates how strong their hand is and what their opponents might have.
5. Playtime! Everyone gets a stack of chips and we play for real. We'll turn the cards face-up and review after each hand. Get a handle on intermediate basic strategy.
Sessions for non-beginners (including those who have gone through this session) will happen at a later date. If you'd like to show up late, let me know.
If you're interested but can't attend at this time, please post on this event and let me know. If there's a bunch of you, I'll see what I can do to accommodate.
Parking/entry details: There is free parallel parking on Virginia St (don't use the head-in parking, you will get towed), free visitor parking on the first level of my building, and free parallel parking / cheap garage parking scattered around the area. If you have trouble, call me at [masked]-3413.
Hit pound-1612 (#1612) on the front door keypad so I can buzz you into the building. Don't forget the # key, or you'll call my neighbor, who is annoyed at my friends repeatedly calling him by mistake..